Kidding Assistance & Complications Stories Thread (for educational purposes!)

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by NigerianDwarfOwner707, Oct 21, 2020.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    What are some of your complicated kidding stories? Births needing assistance, complications, etc. and how you learned from it, I want to hear about the worst of it if you are comfortable sharing!

:run:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Goataddict and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Well..what about some of your stories? I would be interested in hearing yours too!

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

No no. All kiddings go great. There's nothing that ever goes wrong! Nothing can possibly go wrong! Right, right? :ahh::lolgoat:

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Wether lady here.

But in the kiddings I have assisted with for friends, most have gone smoothly. Worst was weak kids and a shocky doe, I learned after that to never be without cayenne during kiddings!!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  5. Noisy Bottle Babies

Noisy Bottle Babies Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    Oh where can I start, first year with more than 2 does kidding we had problems, ok first doe was my moms dapple sierra she had twins in her well low and behold we came back from shopping one day I went inside and came back out to notice a huge dapple boy sticking out of her had to pull him he was a breech and we lost him and then next was our 2nd little boy he was breech as well so I had to pull him but she didn't even take him. 2nd story I was on kidding duty for 2 days she was due the 8th and went the 10th she was pushing for 40 minutes with no progress at all so I had to lube up and put fingers in and then my hand I felt the nose but no legs, we had a pro goat farmer who has been doing this for 12 years on the phone leading me he said that when their like that most the time they don't survive well I tried and had my hand almost elbow deep in the doe trying to find that kids legs at that point I had to get her head out before she suffocated so I pulled on her head and made the doe push when I was pulling finally got the head out and the bag had burst open letting her breath, ok now time to get back into her I had my hands back in and finally found her one leg I pulled on that then switched around and found the other then pulled, the doe at that point had given up on pushing so I had to pull her out and then baby #2 was in there but mom was tired and had no energy to push anymore so had to pull her as well but lost her 2 weeks later as she got an umbilical infection and vet wouldn't give medicine for it. Doe also didn't pass placenta until 5 days later until we had gave her the medicine for it forgot the name of it but the same farmer that helped me through the birth had given me the medicine. Ok thats my horror story for now until this next kidding season.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  6. Noisy Bottle Babies

Noisy Bottle Babies Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
  7. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Ugh I get sick to my stomach even now over my worst kiddings and it’s nothing I find I’m willing to share for the sake of sharing. But what did I learn? Crap happens no matter how many years you have under your belt or how prepared you think you are.

8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Understood.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I have delivered kids from my herd and others who were breech, one leg coming, no legs coming, triplet all coming at once facing different directions, tangled kids and huge kids. All turned out well except one.
    I took my friends goats in while she battled cancer. Wanda went into labor. Kid presented correct. Two front hooves and a nose. I kept watch but I try not to intervene if I don't need to. With each push babies head slipped back further and further. I didnt catch it in time and babies head was folded all the way back. I tried and tried to get the head forward to no end. The baby died and we had to get him out. Both my daughters pulled the babies legs and I pulls mom. Mama screaming..me and my girls crying. Baby delivered almost folded in half. Wanda then quickly delivered a second buck, got up and began taking care of him. My girls and I sat and cried. It was very dramatic. What I learned: have a lamb puller, keep watch on babies head until its out, if head is back and you can't right it, .you can push baby back in and pull breech. No matter the end result, we learn. Wanda was amazing goat. She went in to kid again and again with no problems and I have a lamb puller!

10. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Have had quite a few - that if I wasn't there it would have been horrible for the doe and kids. Best lesson ever is to be present for the birth even if your doe had no problems in the past. Prior post is dead on - crap happens. All we can do is be prepared as possible.

11. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Ok. This is not a goat kidding but a fellow deer kidding. My bottle baby was covered by the male about two years ago. Something we never allow because she is a terrible mother. She became pregnant and the day before her actual due date started displaying contractions. We followed her only to find pieces of a baby scattered all over the place. When she finally lie down to birth she gave birth to an inside out siamese twin females. I was sick to my stomach. Needless to say she had to be euthenazed due to complications. We were very traumatized

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    OK here it goes.

Head back kids.

I had a few but got all of them out, some died, some saved.

On one doe, she had a 180 degree uterine tear low, when I reached in to feel if there were anymore kids, I felt her bladder through the tear.
    But at the time, didn't know what in the world it was.
    Never felt anything like that in my life.
    I called a vet, he said just pull it out. :omg:
    I told him, I want you to come out and tell me what this is.
    He showed up and verified it was her bladder and guided me on what to do, gave her a shot of something, antibiotics, banamine.
    Said, we won't give up, she is acting OK and not bleeding out. Try to keep infection and pain at bay. He said it is always grim with large tears and for me to not expect a lot of time with her. She lived for 2 weeks incredibly, more time than if I did nothing.

She loved her buck kid, which was the one with is head back, dearly.
    She was so loving with him and he loved her too. So the extra time she had with him was blessed.

It was so devastating, when she got to the stage, she could not get up and stopped eating.
    The infection took over at that time, despite all we did.
    I knew she wouldn't last long, but it was a miracle how long, she did hold on.
    The weird part is, the tear wasn't bleeding out.
    We sadly put her down and gave him to a dear friend to care for him.

I had a doe kid with no issues or helping, then found her the next morning dead in there stall.
    Mystery, unless she had a tear.
    There was no infection.

It definitely hurts when we loose them.
    :imok:

13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I'm so sorry.

What an interesting story, I didn't know a tear all the way to the bladder was possible!!

Iluvlilly! and toth boer goats like this.
  14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Either did I, but it was a first.

15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Always have clean strings or a lamb puller. (which I still can't use!) I had a doe present with 2 feet and a head, unfortunately, they all belonged to 3 different kids. I kept pushing parts in and trying to fish the correct legs and head out. Finally got baling twine and (orange, blue and sissal) I dipped in alcohol then tied each one to each foot I found. Finally got the first kid out, head bent all the way back over the back. It lived! 2nd was ok and the last a pain, unfortunately, it was dead and trying to fish limp head and feet in the right direction to pull was a challenge. Finally got it out.

Naturally, this always happens in the middle of the night. You have no friends at that time. All the "call me if a problem, I'll help" doesn't refer to night trouble!

Doe was pretty sore for a few day, but did a good job with her 2 remaining kids. Prep H helped to keep the external swelling down.

My absolute worst is too graphic and upsetting, but, trust your gut, if you think your doe is in peril, get that kid out. Even inexperienced people somewhat know their animals. If something is off, better to seek help saving her than burying her.

16. KJgoats

KJgoats Member

Oct 20, 2020
    Delaware
    I am relatively new to goat kidings, what is the cayenne for?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  17. ALBoerGoats

ALBoerGoats Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Probably all 3 c-sections.

Lucy was the first one last year. She was in labor but it seemed to stall. I checked and she was fully dilated but all I could feel is what felt like the round cotyledons from the placenta which obviously wasn't normal. Vet came out and palpated and knew right away it was placenta previa. No way to get baby out without a c-section. My vet has a mobile set up so we got her all prepped and put her under anesthesia and then it took 3 of us to lift her onto the table in her surgery room. She barely fit. But both her and her single doeling made it. And she accepted her right away. She just kidded again this year with huge single buckling with a little bit of help. He was 13 lbs but she did great.

The second one was less than a week later. Lace had gotten stuck on her back at about 3.5 months pregnant and was close to dead when I found her since it was 105 outside. She survived and made it to kidding but once again her labor stalled. I went in to check and felt the same thing I did with Lucy. Vet came out and did a standing c-section that time with a local anesthetic. When we got her open the amniotic fluid came out and basically flooded half of the garage. She had polyhydramnios on top of placenta previa from a twisted uterus. Most likely from when she had gotten stuck on her back. She had triplets. 2 passed within the first couple days because they were a tad premature and despite my efforts I couldn't save them. The third one, Diamond, also almost died. She seemed to be taking her last breathes. I was just about to give her a big dose of banamine to help her pass but then decided to make one last ditch effort to save her. I gave her some Dex and an antibiotic and wrapped her up in a heating pad. Her respiration rate got down to about 5-6 per minute. I went outside and fully expected her to be gone when I came back in. To my surprise she was up and crying when I came back and she has been feisty ever since!

And then lastly there was Magic who had hers early yesterday morning. I noticed a few days ago that she was partially dilated. I induced both her and Lucy at the same. They both presented with amber goo at about 1 am. Lucy was having strong contractions but she was not. After delivering Lucy's baby I checked Magic and found that she was only partially dilated still and there was the sac with the kid in it through the partial open cervix. I worked on manually dilating her for about an hour with little luck. I was very careful not to break that sac. Vet got out here about 3 am and palpated her. She felt the same exact thing I did and said she needed a c-section. We got her all prepped and cut her open. Got the first baby out and thats when we saw an absolutely terrible looking placenta. Some of the cotyledons were no longer attached and were falling onto the floor. They were black and almost necrotic looking. You could see the signs of infection all over it. It basically disintegrated in our hands. She thought that was the only baby but went to check for more. Found two more in there and got those pulled. Before stitching her up we had to pull some of the placenta out since it was in her way. It literally just came without resistance. Not normal at all. She said Magic had to have had an infection brewing in there for some time and that we are very lucky she made it to full term with live kids. Her cervix had most likely been open for a few weeks which is why it wouldn't dilate further. She had some green mucus discharge for about 5 weeks before so that was most likely drainage from her infection and not the mucus plug like I had thought. But luckily all 3 babies and her are doing well! She is a very good momma.

Another delivery that was crazy was one when I was 9 months pregnant lol. Taxi, an 8 yr old doe at the time, had gone into labor but was having g issues. When I went in and checked baby was malpositioned. He had 1 leg and his head back. And I could tell by the feel of his 1 leg forward that he was huge. It took me almost an hour on the ground with my arm in there to get him repositioned. And even when he was finally positioned right I had to pull very very hard. I literally had my feet on her butt for leverage and used all my strength to pull him out. She was screaming so loud it sounded like she was dying. I was balling my eyes out but knew I had to do it. Finally got him out. I thought for sure she tore in there and just knew she would be dead soon. But somehow she made it and kidded the next year!
    I'm sure it was a sight to see a pregnant lady working so hard to deliver that baby goat lol. I was sore for weeks afterwards.

18. KJgoats

KJgoats Member

Oct 20, 2020
    Delaware
    Here is my doosey of a story, I apologize for the book ahead of time.
    About 2 years ago in September, our girls Grace and Bella were due to have their babies. This was our first time having goat babies and we learned a lot. We knew an aproximate date that they had been bred but we weren't 100% sure when they would be due. Being first timers we looked for signs but didn't really have a good reference or idea of what to look for.
    One afternoon, I was the first home from school, my parents were both drivers on bus runs and my siblings hadn't gotten off the bus yet. I went out to look for babies and saw stuff hanging out of Grace, I thought for sure she was in labor. I ran inside to call my mom and started gathering supplies we would need(protip: assemble a baby box ahead of time). My mom got home about the time I was about to head back outside. To our surprise Grace had already given birth to baby Meadow and the stuff hanging from her was her afterbirth. Baby Meadow aas perfect: she was small, had long floppy ears, had a little round ear tassel, and one round neck tassel. We happened to have a 4h family stop by and they took the only pictures we have of Meadow and her mommy. We aren't sure why but Grace's afterbirth would not detach on it's own
    We dont know if it was due to birth complications while we weren't home, if it was mineral deficiency, or something else. The next day while my sister, brother, and I were at school my mom went out to check on Grace and her baby. All looked fine, but 10 minutes later she went back out and Grace was half dead laying on the ground. My mom and dad scooped Grace and Meadow into the back of our Suburban and drove to the local farm animal vet. He came out but not much could be done, she passed away there in the back of the suburban not long later of sepsis. They brought Grace and Meadow home, put grace behind the goat shed til we could get home and put Meadow in a large box inside. They are contractors for the district and were bus drivers too so they made sure that one of them arrived home before we did. I had a bad feeling sometime that day during school that something had happened but I didn't know what. When I got home my dad explained what happened, my sister and I had told my dad that there was going to be goat babies in the house. But we didn't intend for it to be like this.
    That night my mom and I went out to check on Bella and found her in labor at 1am. All was going well and the baby bubble was beginning to come out. As the bubble came out what looked like an ear appeared. We quickly realized that this was not an ear, but a tail and that baby Hazel was coming breached. I bolted inside to get my dad, he and my sister went out to help while I stayed inside. They ended up calling a friend that was experienced with goats. To make a long and graphic story short my dad pulled her out, however, we had forgotten to bring a nose sucker out. My sister had never gone so fast, she ran in and back out in 30 seconds. Might I remind you that our house is 100 ft long and the nose sucker was on the other side of the house, plus our goat pen is at least that far away from our house. They were able to save baby Hazel, and soon later Bella delivered Nutmeg with no problems.
    We thought our problems were over, but Bella didn't want to care for both babies. She allowed Hazel to eat but not Nutmeg. We would have bottle fed Nutmeg inside too if we didn't already have one house baby. So we made her a few bottles of milk a day with Bellas milk.
    At the same time, we bottle fed Meadow inside using goat powdered milk formula. One night after a week or so of bottle feeding Meadow she started acting really bad. She was grinding her teeth, acting lethargic, started having scours, and was bleating, we thought we were going to loose her too. We called a bus driver of ours who has horses and he came over with some Probios. This helped greatly, and the next day we called out goat friend who also worked at the farm animal hospital. She prescribed an antibiotic for the scours, and recommended giving her leaves/ forage and making our own milk from whole milk, butter milk, and condensed milk because the mixed goat milk was upsetting her belly. This made night and day difference.
    After that we didn't have too many more problems, none at least that were very bad. But that was definitely a learning experience. Tips I can give are: give your pregnant goats mineral blocks to eat, supervise the birth, assemble a baby box with anything you could ever need, give the mama warm water mixed with karo syrup after birth, give the mama penicillin after her birth, if you bottle feed DO NOT use the powdered formula make your own with whole milk, butter milk, and condensed milk(you can find the recipe online), have the number of an experienced goat friend or vet, and do your research, I did a lot of research before hand but the best information you can get is from people who have felt with this before. Sorry for the book.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  19. KJgoats

KJgoats Member

Oct 20, 2020
    Delaware
    Also breed your doe with a boy her size or smaller to prevent big babies, especially for first time girls

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  20. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Okay I have 2-3
    The first one was the second/third kidding ever for me! I was new and had 2 does in labor one with a huge kid that I almost called the vet for. And the other that wasn't progressing, keeping in mind I was 14 and had never done this before, I checked her and felt a hard mass... I called my mother out to help me figure this out, She's a human midwife, She said it felt fine. It was not fine! He had been dead for a few days and was coming out horns first with no feet. My mother tried to pull him out just the way he was presenting... after nearly and hour I ended up losing my temper with her and telling her to let me do it now (I had only just worked up the courage to actually do something) I got my hand in and pushed him back, flipped his chin up so his nose was coming out right and tried to find legs but I couldtn't so I pulled. My mother took that opportunity to let me know that his head can just rip off. I got him out fine but he was full of liquid and was falling apart. I did have the vet check her and she gave mama goat some antibiotics and said she was fine.
    The second still breaks my heart, My Carmel was bashed by my 2 bucks that were fighting over her when she was in heat and they broke her hip and part of her pelvis. She healed well but couldn't use the leg much anymore and for some reason we didn't think they had bred her. We found out at around 4 months justation that she was in fact pregnant. We knew her hip was broken but we didn't know her pelvis was so we thought she could still kid and care for her baby/babies but on the day she went into labor we found out that her pelvis was broken and pocking into her vigina. We knew there was a chance she couldn't kid and we had decided to put her down and get the kids out. I was a crying mess but we managed to save both of her babies.
    The third isn't nearly as bad but it was the same doe as the first story. She had a huge buckling and wasn't progressing on the second kid (She was refucing to push even though he came quickly and with help) I went in and found a neck... Yep she was head back and feet tucked. I really didn't have any issues getting her out but it was gut wrenching as it was happening.

Iluvlilly! likes this.