Kidding Assistance & Complications Stories Thread (for educational purposes!)

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by NigerianDwarfOwner707, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    And then there was this fiasco:
    https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/a-whole-month-left-to-go.212519/

Things did not turn out so well for Nubbin. She ended up with a uterine infection (I absolutely should have done a uterine flush but I had never done one before and I was so tired by the end of this ordeal that my mind wasn't on the right track I guess). She was doing poorly so the owner took her to the vet who confirmed uterine infection and a tear. I'm not sure if it was a uterine tear or a cervical tear. Either way, I'm not happy that this happened. Nubbin was so full of kids I'm actually not surprised that she tore. I did my best to be as gentle as possible, but she was so full of kids it's possible that she even tore herself when contractions started. She was like a balloon full to bursting and I doubt her uterus had one bit of elasticity left. No doe should have to deliver 4 full-sized kids! Usually when they have quads the kids are smaller. These four were the size of regular twins.

I saw Nubbin in August and she still looked awful. She was very thin and her coat was dull and falling out in patches. She's only seven years old but she looked ancient. Her owner was supplementing her with all kinds of goodies, but Nubbin's appetite was poor. I haven't heard from the owner since then so I'm hoping Nubbin eventually took a turn for the better. The four kids, on the other hand, were sleek, fat, gorgeous weanlings when I saw them. I'm so happy that we didn't lose the entire crew in that kidding. As bad as it turned out, it could have been much, much worse.

toth boer goats likes this.
  2. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

So do you reach back in to look for the legs while the kid's head is out? Is there enough room for that? I thought in that instance you had to push the head back in and bring the head and legs out all at the same time. Can the kid not be pulled (or delivered) with the head out but both feet back?

3. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    If the head is in the passage then you do need to push it back while you retrieve the legs but this is no big deal. If the head is totally out you may not need to push the head back to reach the feet since the neck is very slender and you should be able to reach in under the throat and fetch one leg out at a time. I would not like to have a doe deliver a kid with both front feet back, but if she did it's far less traumatic than if she delivers a kid with the head back. I've heard of people pulling kids out head back and all and this would probably be the worst possible scenario for both doe and kid.

4. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

So other that the uterine flush, is there anything that you would do in the future if a doe is that big? Induce earlier maybe? Or is it possible that her diet was such that her kids got too big?

5. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I'm not sure. I would have induced sooner but the owner was hesitant to induce at all. The vet told her that every goat he'd ever induced had had a poor outcome, but I countered that if you need to induce it's probably because there's already a problem. In this case there was definitely already a problem! The doe was simply ENORMOUS and it was causing difficulty for her to stand, sit, or lay down in any position. Plus, I know she couldn't eat enough for that crowd since her stomach was being squeezed. I really think that in the end Nubbin was already too weak to go into proper labor and there just wasn't enough "push" to dilate properly or bring kids into the world. Everything about her labor seemed "off" to me.

As far as diet, the owner takes excellent care of her goats and Nubbin was the herd queen--big time. She could eat as much as she liked of the choicest hay and no one was going to argue with her about it, so I can believe she probably had more than her fair share leading up to that last month. Then during the last month I don't think it was possible for her to get enough calories to stay ahead of the game once those kids were already so big. It's tricky to properly balance the diet of a doe as pregnant as this one was!

toth boer goats and MellonFriend like this.
  6. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    heres mine:
    Cricket was having slight contractions around 5:00 Friday night, pawing, pre labor. (this was in april btw) so I stayed out with her untill around 10:00 and they nothing much was happening, so I went to bed. woke up to her having pretty strong contractions. she was pushing for about an hour, so i got worried. Her water didnt break. Nothing. We went in slightly, but since her water hadnt broke, we were afraid to go in any more. We were calling around everywhere. Nobody would come out because COVID was so bad in April. And my usual vet wanted me to drive her 45 minutes away because he was 1 hour from his office, due to a cow with the same problem. we didnt have time. I remembered my goat friend who lives about 5-10 miles from me and she was at the house in less than 10 minutes. Crickets water has broke by now, and I could see the first boys tail trying to come out, but it would just go back in when her contraction stopped. While we were waiting, I went in and tried to flip him around, but he was too big. She ended up getting him flipped around and out, but he was dead. And 8 pounds. While she was trying to revive him, I went in and got the second kid out. She was coming in right, but it was too late. went back in, found another little girl, dead. Both the girls were about 3-4 pounds each.

Cricket was exhausted. Her backend was very raw and swollen. I honestly thought I would lose her. Lots of Prep H and banamine later, she is doing just fine :)

It was very traumatic for me, and even worse for cricket. She wont even go in the kidding stall. She adopted me as her baby, and we have been even more bonded than before. I still cry when I think about it. It was truly agonizing for both of us.

What did i learn?
    -Have multiple vets on call. Tell them you have a doe due soon, and make sure they know. You will have a better chance getting one out to your place.
    -Be prepared. We didnt have banamine, and my girl had to go the whole night with no pain killer
    -Keep your cool. I was crying in the first hour i knew something was wrong. It didnt help anything, and didnt help cricket at all
    -Dont be afraid to go in and get your hands dirty

Much more as well. Its really scary. That was a hard month for us, and honestly i was almost ready to quit after we lost Delta in May. So glad I didnt though. I would be lost without my babies.

7. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Another story I have that wasn't bad at all was when my girl Patty was having her third set.
    We were in kidding watch with her and she was in day 147 when we came out to her being in early labor. It was 6:30 am and every thing was going textbook perfect! But by 2:40 pm she still wasn't pushing yet and I felt like there might be something going on. So I gloved up and went in, she wasn't dilated enough for me to get 2 fingers in so I waited 2 more hours and checked again but it was still the same. My sister held her while I pushed 1 finger through and I felt a sack with hooves into, so I put another finger in and it felt like a rubber band snapping! I thought I tore her cervix but she went right to pushing and out came 2 beautiful girls! I had a vet check her and he said she was 100% fine.
    To this day I don't know what happened but it all ended well.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California