The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! My kidding season is fast approaching, and my schedule is busier than ever before, so I've decided I want to invest in a camera so that I can view my does on my phone whenever. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or tips on picking one out!

Reactions: friesian49

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have this one. I originally bought a cheaper cam and it didn’t last with the cold weather we get in Iowa so I had to spend a little more to get one the could withstand the cold. This one is completely wireless and runs off my WiFi. I’m very happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Arlo pro for me too. I mainly got it because Not every single camera needed to be plugged in, since I only have a extension cord out there that was the biggest thing. But I’m totally sold on them. They are fully weather proof and mine have been out in the rain many times. They are magnetic and come with little metal brackets to hang them by. I just drilled that bracket onto small pieces of 2X2s and then drilled 2 holes in the 2X2 so I just use zip ties to hang it where ever I want them. I don’t have to worry about wires or if the extension cord reaches. At first I did have a bit of a time lapse but then I bought a long Ethernet cable and just run it out to the barn. At first I though that the cameras had to be in range of WiFi but then after spending a hour reading the Qs and As on Amazon found out that the home base actually acts as a WiFi extender for the cameras. So it is now 100% right on time.
I am NOT a electronic person at all but even I can say set up was a breeze! You also get a free cloud up to 5 cameras. On that I was a little disappointed because I wanted to keep adding a camera every year and have enough to cover every view of the inside and outside of my kidding area and have a few extras for anyone that is in stalls or to have as back up while I’m charging batteries. But 5 might be more then enough for most people lol

·
Registered
164 Posts
Arlo pro for me too. I mainly got it because Not every single camera needed to be plugged in, since I only have a extension cord out there that was the biggest thing. But I'm totally sold on them. They are fully weather proof and mine have been out in the rain many times. They are magnetic and come with little metal brackets to hang them by. I just drilled that bracket onto small pieces of 2X2s and then drilled 2 holes in the 2X2 so I just use zip ties to hang it where ever I want them. I don't have to worry about wires or if the extension cord reaches. At first I did have a bit of a time lapse but then I bought a long Ethernet cable and just run it out to the barn. At first I though that the cameras had to be in range of WiFi but then after spending a hour reading the Qs and As on Amazon found out that the home base actually acts as a WiFi extender for the cameras. So it is now 100% right on time.
I am NOT a electronic person at all but even I can say set up was a breeze! You also get a free cloud up to 5 cameras. On that I was a little disappointed because I wanted to keep adding a camera every year and have enough to cover every view of the inside and outside of my kidding area and have a few extras for anyone that is in stalls or to have as back up while I'm charging batteries. But 5 might be more then enough for most people lol
How far away are your cameras from the base? I've been looking at baby monitors, because my barn is well out of Wifi range.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Right now it is about 100 foot away, that is with on time feed. Before it was 160 feet and there was a 6-10 second delay. With dealing with the delay I learned that there is less when I first opened the app or went onto the camera site and then the longer I was on it checking different camera it was slower and slower. So as annoying as it was I just opened the app checked one camera and then shut the app down. Opened it checked the next camera and so on.
But they make REALLY long cords that are for outside that you can run from the router (I think i called it a modem....but the thing that makes the WiFi in your house lol) to the home base. Or you can also get a WiFi extender. I couldn’t really make my extender work well though. I was only picking up just a hair better having it out there with the extender as I was just having the home base in the house.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
You can hook one router/modem to another too by cloning it. I saw a few youtube videos on it. I haven't tried it yet though. I'm still fiddling with the camera set up I got where one camera acts as a relay for the other. So far it's good. Once i get it figured out I'll post how.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Right now it is about 100 foot away, that is with on time feed. Before it was 160 feet and there was a 6-10 second delay. With dealing with the delay I learned that there is less when I first opened the app or went onto the camera site and then the longer I was on it checking different camera it was slower and slower. So as annoying as it was I just opened the app checked one camera and then shut the app down. Opened it checked the next camera and so on.
But they make REALLY long cords that are for outside that you can run from the router (I think i called it a modem....but the thing that makes the WiFi in your house lol) to the home base. Or you can also get a WiFi extender. I couldn't really make my extender work well though. I was only picking up just a hair better having it out there with the extender as I was just having the home base in the house.
This will sound like a dumb question..WiFi... I can't use my iPad out there, so that means I have no WiFi out there? So I need to choose the ones that will pick up without?

·
Registered
349 Posts
You can hook one router/modem to another too by cloning it. I saw a few youtube videos on it. I haven't tried it yet though. I'm still fiddling with the camera set up I got where one camera acts as a relay for the other. So far it's good. Once i get it figured out I'll post how.
I really only understood three words in this post...lol. So please when you make your post, write it for dummies like me...:( :). Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
Arlo pro for me too. I mainly got it because Not every single camera needed to be plugged in, since I only have a extension cord out there that was the biggest thing. But I'm totally sold on them. They are fully weather proof and mine have been out in the rain many times. They are magnetic and come with little metal brackets to hang them by. I just drilled that bracket onto small pieces of 2X2s and then drilled 2 holes in the 2X2 so I just use zip ties to hang it where ever I want them. I don't have to worry about wires or if the extension cord reaches. At first I did have a bit of a time lapse but then I bought a long Ethernet cable and just run it out to the barn. At first I though that the cameras had to be in range of WiFi but then after spending a hour reading the Qs and As on Amazon found out that the home base actually acts as a WiFi extender for the cameras. So it is now 100% right on time.
I am NOT a electronic person at all but even I can say set up was a breeze! You also get a free cloud up to 5 cameras. On that I was a little disappointed because I wanted to keep adding a camera every year and have enough to cover every view of the inside and outside of my kidding area and have a few extras for anyone that is in stalls or to have as back up while I'm charging batteries. But 5 might be more then enough for most people lol
How long of an Ethernet cable? My barn is 250 ft away from corner of house...another 75 from modem...

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
This will sound like a dumb question..WiFi... I can't use my iPad out there, so that means I have no WiFi out there? So I need to choose the ones that will pick up without?
If you can't get signal to your ipad then you don't have wifi that reaches. What you'll need is one that's self contained something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/OOSSXX-8-Cha...fix=wireless+security+cameras,aps,221&sr=8-10

It will allow you to sit in your house and watch your goats. HOWEVER it'll probably not let you use your phone unless you can keep the base station close to your signal (ethernet wired close) so you'll have to fiddle with it.

This is what I have to do with mine. One camera send the picture to the next which passes it to the next to the monitor (a tv, tablet or such) Just keep the wifi modem in the middle of the loop and there's very little delay from what I'm seeing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Like a couple others, I have Arlo. 4 of mine are regular Arlos and I got an Arlo 2 that has sound and a couple other additions. Also got an Arlo video doorbell, to keep it in the same app.

I'd recommend getting a wire-free camera, which is what Arlo is - no power or Ethernet cables. Then you can just mount them and not worry about goats chewing on anything. Arlo has rechargeable batteries, so I just swap them out at the same time, charging takes maybe an hour or so. The more you use them, the more often they'll need charged. I am just a paranoid goat/house owner, but if it's not bad weather or I'm traveling, a charge can last a month or more. I have 2 outside and they've survived western PA weather - negative weather, wind, snow, rain, heat, etc. - with no issues!

Be mindful of the company and where they are made, I stick with well-known brands on electronics - I don't need other people watching things for me and camera access can open up other access areas that you don't want people having access to - think of all those permissions you have to give an app to do what you want. Buy a well-known brand, secure it, and enjoy!

Kelly

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you can't get signal to your ipad then you don't have wifi that reaches. What you'll need is one that's self contained something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/OOSSXX-8-Channel-Wireless-Megapixel-Weatherproof/dp/B07H94G57C/ref=sr_1_10?crid=MOURLDXWWKBU&keywords=wireless+security+cameras+with+night+vision&qid=1577461369&sprefix=wireless+security+cameras,aps,221&sr=8-10

It will allow you to sit in your house and watch your goats. HOWEVER it'll probably not let you use your phone unless you can keep the base station close to your signal (ethernet wired close) so you'll have to fiddle with it.

This is what I have to do with mine. One camera send the picture to the next which passes it to the next to the monitor (a tv, tablet or such) Just keep the wifi modem in the middle of the loop and there's very little delay from what I'm seeing.
What does keep it in the middle of the loop mean?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Like a couple others, I have Arlo. 4 of mine are regular Arlos and I got an Arlo 2 that has sound and a couple other additions. Also got an Arlo video doorbell, to keep it in the same app.

I'd recommend getting a wire-free camera, which is what Arlo is - no power or Ethernet cables. Then you can just mount them and not worry about goats chewing on anything. Arlo has rechargeable batteries, so I just swap them out at the same time, charging takes maybe an hour or so. The more you use them, the more often they'll need charged. I am just a paranoid goat/house owner, but if it's not bad weather or I'm traveling, a charge can last a month or more. I have 2 outside and they've survived western PA weather - negative weather, wind, snow, rain, heat, etc. - with no issues!

Be mindful of the company and where they are made, I stick with well-known brands on electronics - I don't need other people watching things for me and camera access can open up other access areas that you don't want people having access to - think of all those permissions you have to give an app to do what you want. Buy a well-known brand, secure it, and enjoy!

Kelly
This sounds good as I am clueless..and don't need to worry about hooking it up wrong...how do recharge batteries? We threw away those old recharging things from years ago because we thought they were out of fashion now.... I'm also in NW PA...so I get the weather issues!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Arlo worked with Tenergy to create rechargeable batteries for he older ones I have, that is. The Arlo Pro 2 came with a rechargeable battery pack, which was nice. If I had to buy new ones, I'd likely go with the newer versions, as they keep upgrading the base stations and they are not backwards compatible - if I bought a new Pro 3 or Ultra or similar models, I'd have to buy the new base station as well. So I'd have 2 base stations and that's a bit excessive for my uses!

I can speak from my own experience, and friends, that one will NOT be enough. If you get it for outside, you'll want inside ones. If you get it for the barn, you'll want some for the house. So I'd recommend looking at those that allow for add-ons and factor in a single camera price versus a bundle.

Keep in mind that Lowe's and Sam's Club stores have them and may offer discounts.

Where at in NW PA? I'm about 45 miles north of Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
What does keep it in the middle of the loop mean?
If your cameras were in a circle the home base is in the middle of the circle. These are wireless but you need power in your barn so no batteries to charge they're always powered. You don't need wires connecting the camera to the base unit but for you to use the app you need just the base station connected to your router at your house. the cameras themselves have their own wifi that you can set a passcode on so they're secure.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Arlo worked with Tenergy to create rechargeable batteries for he older ones I have, that is. The Arlo Pro 2 came with a rechargeable battery pack, which was nice. If I had to buy new ones, I'd likely go with the newer versions, as they keep upgrading the base stations and they are not backwards compatible - if I bought a new Pro 3 or Ultra or similar models, I'd have to buy the new base station as well. So I'd have 2 base stations and that's a bit excessive for my uses!

I can speak from my own experience, and friends, that one will NOT be enough. If you get it for outside, you'll want inside ones. If you get it for the barn, you'll want some for the house. So I'd recommend looking at those that allow for add-ons and factor in a single camera price versus a bundle.

Keep in mind that Lowe's and Sam's Club stores have them and may offer discounts.

Where at in NW PA? I'm about 45 miles north of Pittsburgh.
I'm in Kane.. it's about 2 1/2 north west of Pgh....but I grew up in the a South Hills of Pgh...about 45 minutes out of the city..,suburbs...now I'm a farmer and my family laughs! I love it!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm
If your cameras were in a circle the home base is in the middle of the circle. These are wireless but you need power in your barn so no batteries to charge they're always powered. You don't need wires connecting the camera to the base unit but for you to use the app you need just the base station connected to your router at your house. the cameras themselves have their own wifi that you can set a passcode on so they're secure.
I'm not worried about security ...or electric..we have that. My two issues are no WiFi..and price. Chris doesn't want to did up another ditch..can5 blame him, for an Ethernet cord to the barn. I would like a cheaper camera option...since I would only use it at kidding time. Any suggestions? The only decent priced ones require WiFi..:(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts