Kidding information..

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by empera, Apr 2, 2009.

1. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I have two young doelings that are either a month or under a month old. I want to make cheese, ice cream, soap, yogurt, and get milk in general. I've searched the web for answers but no one plainly puts it! It's so hard to get all the questions answered :?

Anyways, one doe is a Nubian (2 1/2 weeks old) and the other is a Boer X (5 weeks old)(I think with Oberhasli). I've heard that Nubians can be bred at 8 months/70 pounds. Is this true?

About the Boer, since she is crossed with Oberhasli, what weight or age can I breed her at? Will her milk production be better than a regular Boer's? Or should I not even breed her due to a low milk production? She's absolutely gorgeous and I'm positive she would throw excellent kids.

Opinions please.

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Yes 8 months and 75-80 lbs for the nubian I think its the same for your boer-x. someone will jump in in a sec

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I usually like to breed kids when they are around 80-90 lbs and only if they are steady growers. For your Ober cross, breed her as late and as big as you possibly can, and on her first time breed her to a buck that will produce smaller kids. Obers tend to have narrow birth canals.

4. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    She seems more boer than anything else. The only sign on Ober in her is her ears. She's already quite big, which is great. Thanks for the advice, from both of you. :)

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    My honours supervisor did some research on this and concluded that does should be bred for the first time at 30kg, with 25kg the absolute minimum.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    66lbs ? that seems kind of small :shrug:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow ...that is small..... Myself ....I usually breed at 1 to 1 1/2 years old ....at minimum..that way ...they will have alot of growth on... and will be mature enough for mothering...If you breed them... to small and/or to young ...there growth may be stunted.....this is my opinion.... :wink:

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Its lighter than most people breed them, but then again most people breed them too old, and lose profitability. But then again for a lot of people they are just a hobby not a business. I personally like to breed at 35 to 40kg. Just for a bit of extra breathing space.

Last year I bred my maiden boers at 7 mths, they kidded at 12 mths. But they reached 30kg at 4 mths, only reason I didnt breed them then was the kids would have dropped in the middle of winter. not good lol They grew out just fine, in fact Pam you have admired two of them on several occasions.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I did keren?.....Oh boy....I still do not like to breed that young .. :wink: ....but hey.... we all do things differently... it seemed to work out for you...if I am thinking of the same goaties you showed me........I still stick to my old guns on breeding them... minimum of 1 year for my own sanity....LOL ....but whatever works for you ...I respect that...... :wink: :greengrin:

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the girls you have seen before. Though it just occurred to me that you commented on them BEFORE they kidded at 12 mths, so yeah, my point didnt quite work. But I'll get new photos when it stops raining and I think you will like them just as well. :) Okay, so some people might say that I had problems because I bred them too young, Calamity's kids were ethiopians and Charlotte had to have a caesar. But Calamity had a retained placenta and Charlotte's kids were malpresented, and I honestly dont think that can be attributed to them being joined young; at any age that can happen. I've had it with much older maidens, and older experienced does too. But you can see that Charlotte did a good job on that buck I posted the other day, and she did a good job with the other one too.

11. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Thanks everyone for your opinions. I'll make my decision when I am extremely happy with her weight, age, and health put together. :wink:

How fast do Nubians and Boers mature? I've heard that Nubians are a little slower while Boers grow quickly.

Keren: I love those lovely ladies you have there. I'm looking forward to updated pictures. :D

12. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    bump*

Question in my last post. :)

13. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Well I havent got any Boers. But I have got half a nubian :ROFL: and she matured very early - I could've bred her in her first year but I didnt like to. So now she's MAAAAAAAAAAASSIIIIVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :greengrin:

LW

14. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I've only seen a few Boers and they weren't what I thought "big" I just thought very strong build, stocky and heavy. Not like tall or anything like I though. Idk though. :) I hope she will mature quickly. She's crossed with Ober.

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    depends upon the lines they come from. But I would say that they grow at the same rate.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    When we had the nubian/boer crosses and the FB together...the odd thing was ...yes ...the crosses did grow at a little faster rate ...then the boers....I think it is because ...they are more leggy tall ...than the boers are..... :wink: Hope I answered your question for you..... :greengrin:

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Also Pam, you've got the heterosis in the boer/nubian ...

18. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
  19. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    the boer cross nubian has increased heterosis, also termed hybrid vigour or outbreeding enhancement. Its the opposite of inbreeding depression.

Basically it means that the crossbred offspring displays greater size, faster growth rate, higher fertility and better yield than their purebred parents. In Pam's case, NubianxBoer kids grew at a faster rate than FB boer kids, because the xb kids had the heterosis advantage.

You get very good heterosis in the first cross of two different breeds. You get maximum heterosis if you take those offspring and cross them to a third different breed. After that it goes down because you start getting them too mutty.

Basically, its the reason why crossbred cattle are so popular - for example the Angus x Hereford "Black Baldie".

In my experience, the heterosis advantage is seen more dramatically in cattle than in goats.

20. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Does this apply to all crosses or just boer crosses? She is crossed with ober. But I'm not sure of their development rate. Thanks for the information, its interesting. :)