The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had a pregnant doe or had one kid so im a little scared haha. I have a 6 year old, medium sized, mixed breed goat. She's kidded about 4 times, all by herself with no problems so im trying not to worry about that part. :) But the bigger she gets the more i worry, i can't help it lol.

What is everything i should do once they are born? I read a thread about putting iodine on there cords and giving them different things? And is there anything special i should give the mama once she's kidded or before she kids? Any shots, vaccines, or extra vitamins? This might sound dumb but I heard to give them Bose, what is that?

Thank you for any help or tips. :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
bose is a selenium shot. dont ever feel dumb about asking questions here we all have learned loads from this site.
before she kids give her a cdt shot, b vitamins are a good idea. limit her calcium intake until after she kids. as soon as she kids give her warm water with molasses in it.
as for the babies get them breathing is the main thing. dip their navels in iodine, tie them off with dental floss. dry them with old towels and a hair dryer if really cold. get them on their feet and make sure they nurse within the first hour this is the most important thing as the absorbtion of antibodies decreases sharply after the first few hours.
i would recommend that you get a book on goats from your feed store, storey puts out one for 4-h kids called "your goat" that actually is very good for newbies. i learned alot from it when i was working with my 4-h members.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
For the kids: bo se (selenium+vit E). I believe its 2 ccs and that just gets shot down the throat. I soft gel of vit E is also recommended. Just the liquid in the gel, not the gel body. Dip the cords in iodine. 2 or 3 times the first day should be good unless the mama is cleaning it off. Then a few more times wouldnt hurt.

For the dam: As suggested Vit B and CD/T not a bad idea. Being inexperienced, the more little things you can do before the birth, may help with post delivery. Oh and giving a scoop or two of a good grain to help maintain health and help grow the kids in the final month to two weeks is also a good idea.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Never feel dumb about asking questions. As far as Bo-Se is concerned, it is a selenium supplement and is only needed if you live in a selenium deficient area. Selenium is toxic if too much is given, so I would google selenium deficiency map to see if I lived in a selenium deficient area, research white muscle disease, symptoms of selenium deficiency, and talk to my vet.

As far as Mom, she would most certainly appreciate a bucket of warm, molasses-laced water after delivery.

The only time I've had problems with delivery is if the kids are tangled up, and that has been a rare occurance. Whether to vaccinate is up to you - again, google it so you can make an informed decision. Personally, I do not vaccinate, dip cords or hooves, and I've never had a problem - but that does not mean that it will work for you. I do, however, do everything I can to make sure the kidding area is clean, fresh bedding, and disinfected between deliveries. I hope this helps, and happy kidding! :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much! :D Yall helped a lot.

What are yalls thoughts on the cd&t shots? Where to give them and how much? Ill use the iodine, i didnt even think of that part of it :) , with the dental floss how would you go by tying it up, like how close or how tight?

So give vitamin b to the doe and vitamin e to the kids? Is the vitamin b the same as fortified b 12? With the vitamin e, is it just the gel vitamin e pills for humans, like if i was to squish it a suck it up in a syringe with a cc of water to make it lighter?

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Yes the vit E is the same kind you buy for yourself. Think they are 1000ml? You could do it that way. We just put the soft gel in the corner of the mouth and rest our tongue on the end of it. In a few min it will be come soft enough to just squeeze into the corner of their mouth and pop :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About how far along is a doe when she starts to get a bag? She has had a baby bump for a while but is starting to get a little bag. I was thinking 2 or 3 months but i have no idea?

·
2,203 Posts
About how far along is a doe when she starts to get a bag? She has had a baby bump for a while but is starting to get a little bag. I was thinking 2 or 3 months but i have no idea?
Depends on the doe. FF typically a Month, while mature does may not show until the day before.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks yall cleared a lot up for me. :D

Do y'all vaccinate for cocci? One thread on here said to give it at age 3, 6, and 9 weeks. But it was kinda confusing, i couldn't make up my mind what would be the best to use either, so i thought i would ask?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha sorry thats what i meant... I know a lot of people are against feed wormers but would cocci medicated feed work or would it be best to use another kind? I've heard sulmet, dimethox (spelling?) and 2 more, but i have no idea what would be best? I don't know if you give them all orally or under the skin or what, orally would be easiest but i can get someone to help if its a shot. Any recommendations or tips?

Thank you again yall are a big help. Very few people here raise goats so yall and google are about the only help. :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I have standard sized goats, I use the medicated feed - either monensin or decoxx, and I've never had a problem with the kids not eating the recommended dosage. I've never had a case of cocci in the kids, either. Just my experience. :)

Oops, I lied. :eek: The only medicated feed I have had problems with was Payback Champion Meat Goat. Needless to say, I have switched to ADM and the kids run me over to get to it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok she's gotten so much bigger and her bag is a lot bigger! :D Im so excited!

When I check for ligs, is it the thin mucsley things that feel like... i dont even know what they feel like lol, but i think thats what ligs are? Or the fat around the tail? Am i just looking for hèr rear to get soft or for the "ligs" to not be there? I heard it feels like a pencil so i think i found them but i can't imagine them going away?

I have a kidding stall fixed up for her, it has a sandy bottom and im going to put hay over it when she kids. It's about 10ft x 10ft, i forgot all about that pen cause it was a layer pen but its vacant now and is perfect so im happy i found a good spot. :)

I know ive asked a thousand times but just making sure everything is straight. Here's what I think i know but correct me if im wrong.

1. - molasses water right before during and after kidding. (I can't find molasses but she really likes "power punch" and water mixed, would that work?)

2. - worm her after she kids, i usually use valbazen but since it isn't good for pregnant does, is it ok to give does with kids on them? Dosage?

3. - she's never needed any special assistance, the people who usually have her when she kids just let them kid in their pasture alone and they are fine, but our pasture is horrible and they will probably be dirty from all the bare dirt patches so im bringing them in, and she will be spoiled. Haha... I'm praying she won't need assistance.

4. - Slowly up her feed after she kids and add more calcium and grain.

5. - Milk her a little if her bag gets to big after she kids, and make sure the kids get enough colostrum.

6. - Give the mama vitamin b after the delivery (is this the right stuff?) and the kids vitamin e (i found vitamin e but instead of in pills its just the filling, how much?)

image-1066881728.jpg

I think thats all unless i remember something later or if yall see anything i dont have but i need to know or add. Ill post pics tomorrow. :D I think she has a few more weeks to go but id love for yall more experienced guys to take a guess. :) No wonder goats are addictive, the more i wait for her to pop the more excited i get. :D

Attachments

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
1. I wouldn't worry about the molasses water before kidding, and I doubt she would be interested in it during kidding. After kidding is the big one.

2. Valbazen is ok to use on lactating does as far as I know.

3. Just because she's never needed assistance does not guarantee she never will. I would bring her in where I could keep an eye on her. There is nothing worse than trying to pull a baby out of an exhausted mother.

4. Whether you have to feed grain or not is going to depend on the doe, whether you also want to milk her, and how many kids. The vast majority of my does do great with only a good quality grass/alfalfa hay.

5. Definitely make sure the kids get enough colostrum, but I wouldn't worry about milking her. The kids will take care of it, and if they don't she will adjust her production to fit the situation.

6. That is up to you. I don't, but that doesn't mean you can't. She will be plenty hungry after she kids. Yes, that looks like the right stuff. I can't help you with the vit E - I don't give it.

Happy kidding, and be sure to enjoy the babies! :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you :) This is going to be my first kidding and im so nervous/excited! :D so im reining in that over nervousness in to over preparing. Lol

I haven't brought my camera out yet but ill try to soon i would love to know about how far along she is and yall will have a better idea than me. :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I can certainly understand your excitement and nervousness. I was a hot mess when my first doe kidded! I like to drove everyone around me nuts. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts