kidding pen design question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by kannm, Jan 1, 2011.

1. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Hi,

We have our two goats in a shed. Both of them are hopefully pregnant and due in early March. Because we just have the shed, we don't have a kidding pen. Is that as important when you only have two goats or do I need to construct something? If we have to construct a pen, how could we do it in an inexpensive way?

Thank you for your help.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when I just had two goats I didnt need a kidding pen. Once I had 5 or so does I found it helpful and the does usually have their favorites. when its just the two of them they both like eachother and dont mind when they are around during labor

3. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Thank you, Stacey. I got worried when I saw all of the kidding pens. :)

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with Stacey...when I first started with just Bootsie and Dolly, they were very comfie as a family with their babies.

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I agree they'll be just fine togather.

6. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

another agree :) Best of luck on easy kiddings & healthy kids for you kannm!

7. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I have taken to letting the girls kid out in the pens...I keep leashes in the barn so I can tie the nosey ones up while the others kid...I have only had to do that once. And that's only because Hannah, who was also in labor...was standing there, looking over my shoulder as Delilah was pushing...

I have 4 kidding pens however, those are for kids only. I dont want adult goats in there.

8. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Just wanted to share my experience with no kidding pen.

I had two doe's who were best buds, super momma's, & both kidding veterans.... and due about the same time... we didn't think we needed a kidding pen either... until #1 went into labor and #2 wouldn't leave her alone...fretting over her like crazy, worried since she was screaming while the kids were being born. Then the babies came and doe #2, who hadn't kidded yet, stole them away immediately and both doe's started fighting over them...with doe #1 being a bit weak from her delivery. It wasn't good at all. We ended up having to construct a wall with hay bales (in the middle of the night) to seperate the two doe's. Then of course about an hour later the 2nd doe went into labor too, and had her own twins...although she continued to steal the original two kids from doe #1 back for weeks!!

So overall.... I would HIGHLY suggest atleast being prepared to put up something just in case ...even if you can just get a hog panel or piece of fence to put across a back corner of the shed...anything that you can do to create a comforting space for the first doe to kid, should the 2nd doe get too protective.

Thats just my experience...
    Happy kidding!

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Good advice Traci, just in case.
    They usually give the doe in labor her space. I put a pair of sisters in an open bldg. They did fine...when the 2nd one went I put the 1st doe's kids in a box cause no one wanted their help.

10. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    I have become a "Better safe than sorry" kinda girl...

Especially after waking the sleeping bear/husband to come help make a WALL out of hay bales at 1 am ?!?!?! WHAT?!?!?! :ROFL:

11. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    my husband tells me I can wake him up only if they are getting ready to kid or have kids on the ground other wise don't bother.

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Ditto what Traci said, just keep a hog panel to put in the corner, that's what we usually do if we need to make a pen fast. I always cut hog panels up into sections and build pens with those but somehow somewhere every year they get used up for other things before kidding season comes back around.