The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Just Ramblin Farms
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. I am in the process of having a new barn installed on our
property for our growing goat herd. I need some help. What Size should I build my kidding pens? I am only going to install a couple of permanent kidding pens, the others will be in pieces. So when I need them I will put them together. If it helps any the barn im having built is 21 feet deep and 42 feet long. It is broken up into three sections.

·
14,615 Posts
Welcome to TGS!
What breed of goats?
Ours are Boers. Stall sizes vary, some are 12x12 & others 12x8, we had to work with an old chicken barn.

·
Just Ramblin Farms
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now I have a mix. I have boers and what folks have said are kikos. Mostly I am planing on boers. I have been told that Goats need 10 to 20 sq feet, is this true? What I plan on using them for is for after kidding, keep them in for a few days untill there ready to go out with everyone else. I was kind of thinking 6x8 pens but im not sure.

Thanks

·
2,377 Posts
The area that they kid in needs to be at least big enough for the mamma to move around in and 6x8 is too small for meat goat breeds. We have an area that is about 8x10 with open area to move around in. Here is why they need room; Sometimes those triplets or twins need to get in the right position and sometimes a good Doe will actually walk around, arch her back and wait until things are feeling right before her next contraction. Hard to believe but I have witnessed it with our does. Two separate babies were fighting their way out. Two front feet presented, then the fight went on with the mamma walking in the open area - kept arching her back getting them all positioned right until two back feet presented. She needed no assistance and this all would be very hard in a small pen. They need to be able to move around if there is a problem. Others just pop them out with no problem but still... triplets/twins and a mamma in labor will be too crowded in a 6x8 pen. They can go into a smaller pen like that after they have kidded.

·
2,377 Posts
I like to also be present with all the births but I try to let the Doe do it all on her own if she can and is able to re-position them but usually this type of birth needs help. I am ready to glove up and assist quickly if needed.

·
Just Ramblin Farms
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for the info thus far. PackHillBoers, I just want to make sure I understand what your saying. Once the kids are born, it would be alright to move them and the mother into a smaller pen such as a 6x8? But while the mother is in labor keep her in a larger pen say 8x10 or larger so that she can move around? If so it would be easy for me to have a larger pen that can be taken apart when not in use.

Thanks Adam

·
2,377 Posts
Adam,
yes, I think it is easier to have them kid in a larger area.You also can move around easier in a larger pen with the mamma too. The mamma with her babies can be in a 6x8 pen after she kids. It will be small but as long as the babies have a little hide away box to escape from mamma's clumsy feet, it can work. We have used the little dog kennels with a tarp over them. They are I think 6x6. We close them in there at night for the first day or two and the babies have a little tub to hide in. If you have a barn area- you will be able to have all sorts of options to work with.

·
2,377 Posts
Here are a few photos of some of our years past in make-do pens. We are building a new long goat kidding pen this year that will have 6x8 rooms that can open into an 8x10 covered area so if you have a barn with 6x8 rooms it would be fine if there is a little kidding area a bit larger to open up to. The little dog huts worked great for our milder climate but the wind really can blow them over easily.

The first photo is of our older Doe with her triplets in the kidding shed. She had just kidded and is messy. It is 8x10 and is open but we did close it off with weather conditions if needed with a small opening. After a day, we moved these newborns into a small fenced pen area and with a little covered dog hut 6x6. The last photo is of a small little shed that is only 4x6. it is in the background and is quite small but works for one goat/and or babies.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My kidding pens are 5' X 5', and they work very well for my meat goats.

·
Just Ramblin Farms
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much for all the help and the pictures. Pictures get my head rolling with ideas. My pens will be inside the new barn that is being installed. The barn is 42 feet wide and 21 feet deep. It is broken up in to three sections. It is going to have to sides both 12 feet wide and 21 feet deep, the middle section is going to be 18 feet wide and 21 feet deep. Im planing on the two side sections being seperated between billys and nannys. The larger middle section will be where the kidding pens will be located, along with a feed and supply room, a loft for hay, and also a working chute for medication, hoof triming, ect. As of now there will be two stalls for kidding or observation of goats. Each 6x8 feet or maybe alittle bigger, then I will have a larger pen in the middle that can be taken down when not in use for the actual labor process. What do yall think? Also the two side sections will only be for sleeping and a place to get out of the weather.

Thanks Adam

·
2,377 Posts
What you just described sounds just like my husbands idea of a dream barn. You will have such an awesome set up. I truly think the 6x8 pens will be large enough as they are inside the barn all covered especially with the option to move your goat in labor to a bigger area if needed. This is going to be an awesome barn set up. I can't wait to see pictures. This really sounds like a perfect set up. We have to work with our county regulations and so we go with long sheds and huts.

·
Just Ramblin Farms
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again, I really hope it turns out as well as I think it will. Ive been planing this barn for about 2 years now. Its time to see what happens. I will post some pics when the building comes in. Yall wouldnt happen to know how large a Buck pen should be? They will have ample room to get inside i just wonder what the actual pen size should be? Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
My pens are 4' x 8' and I really like that size. The barn we use is a converted farrowing house that was previously used for pigs and the pens were modified to work for goats but if given the option to start over I would stay with that same size. We do raise Boers with some does over 200 lbs just to give a reference. We generally move the does in 1 week before the due date and have ip cameras on them to see behavior changes. So hard to judge behavior while you are out there because they are to worried about eating and then begging for more while a person is out there. Definitely recommend the cameras.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we have nigerians so we can have smaller pens. we have a 6x6 stall for the goats we think are having multiples, we have 2 4x6 stalls for ff.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Now once again I will say that the pen size was predetermined for me and I have attached a pic to show the mods we made. For reasons why I like the size makes me think a little. We have kidded in all different sizes and 6x6 is fine with me too. We have kidded in larger pens where we just sectioned of parts of barns etc and it just seems like it is too much useless space that just isn't needed. We move our does in 1 week before due date and leave them in there usually until 1 week after the birth. They have no problems in the smaller space for a couple weeks. Barn space is always at a premium and when a certain size works why use more of that barn than you have to? Now I will say if they were being built new by me I would make it so the dividers between each stall were removable to combine 2 pens or more for the times when a doe and her kids need a longer stay. Or times when a goat gets injured and may be in one for a month or more recovering.

As for there not being room with triplets etc. In my experience nature tells mom to protect her first born wether it is out in a 2 acre lot or in a 12'x12' stall or in a 4'x8' stall. After she cleans it and when the second one is ready to come out she doesn't go lay by it and partially on it because the space is to small. She does it to make sure it stays there and doesn't wander off while #2 is being born because thats what nature is telling her to do to protect it from predators and or from other does etc as if she was out in the wild. With the cameras we are pretty good at being there for every birth. If it is cold we generally bring the kids as they are born up to the corner with the heat lamp and good dry beeding. Without fail all the moms when it is time to lay down for no. 2 aren't going back to where the first was born. They lay in that corner making sure no. 1 is stuck there. Wouldn't matter what size the pen is at that point. Mom is doing what she is supposed to. Some do go to far especially when labor starts again and begin putting to much weight on the kid where we do pull it out and put it up in fromt of her face instead. But that has happened out in the middle of large pens to so it has nothing to do with not enough room for the kid.

If you are truly blessed with unlimitied barn space or have a herd so small that the whole barn isn't used then by all means go as big as you would like. For me the smaller pens work great and even when building new I will stick with that.

Attachments

·
2,377 Posts
Sandyridgeboers.. what an awesome set up you have . Always love seeing pictures of everyones places. It is so good to see different ideas.

·
2,377 Posts
We have had a few field births in the first year.. I sure would not encourage that as the doe gets all nervous and then the afterbirth is all over the place which encourages coyotes to come. We never leave the afterbirth fluids but always clean it up for the reason of skunks or coyotes.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I have some questions about kidding stalls.

Why do you all use kidding pens, and so small at that? I saw someone say something about risk of the kids being stepped on, but the smaller the space the more likely it is they will be stepped on because mama won't have as much room to maneuver in. ALso, isn't it bad that mama and babies movement is so restricted? Aren't the mamas miserable in those tiny pens? My neighbors lock their goats up in their 12x12 stalls for kidding, and they just SCREAM 24x7 in there (which in turn makes me miserable because I am outside all day long and have to listen to their poor goats constantly crying, and my sleep is greatly disturbed because their stupid barn is about 100 feed from my bedroom). My goats kid with the herd and the herd gives them lots of room and everyone is always really chill about it all.

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
511 Posts
I just got an old barn on the back of my property that was being used for cows. I made one section into my goat area and made 5 kidding pens 7x7. My dad said they were too big because in my limited amount of space I wouldn't be able to have enough pens for 7 goats to kid in. These pens still worked fine and were much bigger then the pens I used before this which were probably 5x5 in a pinch. If you wanted to you could have 3-4 bigger kidding pens and then move them into one big pen or many smaller pens after the kids were born or if you needed to out for another momma.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts