kidding pens

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by amyrob, Feb 11, 2008.

1. amyrob

amyrob New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    NW Montana
    Is it ever acceptable to let more than one doe use a kidding pen? Do you think it could mess up whose are whose? Especially regarding lineage and registration.....Just wondering as I have to prepare the barn for this spring. Will have 9 due and 7 all close together. Am planning on making separate areas w/ hog panels but might have to cut down the 16 foot lengths. I did see a little temporary pen set-up in this month's Hobby Farmer. Looked relatively easy.
  2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    I am not really sure butas long as the 2 does that are put together get along, I think it will be okay. As far as knowing whose is whose, I assume you are talking about kids....most goats wont take in another doe's kids. So it may be pretty easy to tell which kid belongs to which doe.....not sure if this is what you are asking...its late and I am extremely sleepy.

3. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    i have never done that but if the are always togeather & are buddies i shou;ld think they would be o.k. i know that a lot of boer folks run there herd all togeather & the kid togeather & they seem to be fine.
  4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    We never put does together when they are kidding but if a doe who is kidding has a barn buddy, we'll put the buddy in a pen next to the doe that is kidding. The buddy usually gives moral support during the labor process :D :wink: