kidding process and then some

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Feb 6, 2009.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    We've got a doe that should be kidding the end of April. We are pretty sure the best day with the Buck was Dec 6, 2008.

It has been simple until now, but we are getting a little concerned what all has to happen.

We have a place to isolate her from the 2 other goats, but when and for how long.

Also, what if it all happens in the middle of night? It's in SE Michigan, so I hope the temps are ok by then.

What do I make sure the first few weeks of life? I'm reading about various shots, castrating, debudding... lots of stuff.

Anyone have a good summary for the first time kidders?

Thanks

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what breed of goat?

This is what I do for my kidding

does when showing signs of kidding get put in the kidding stall at night (signs of kidding can be found in the kidding koral forum, like "posty" and loosing ligaments, stutted udder etc)

then when kids are born I squeese a bit out of the does udder to get the plug out. Make sure the kids drink within the first hour and can find the teat on their own.

I have minis so I dont disbud till they are at least a week old.

I castrate bucklings who are not sold as bucks when they are 7-8 weeks old.

I give shots when they are 9 weeks and then 12 weeks old

worm them before they leave.

3. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Guest

Jan 18, 2009
    sorry got to as ? how do you castrate bucklings who are not sold as bucks when they are 7-8 weeks old I have not figered(sp) that one out yet. :sigh:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I personally wether before they leave unless they are sold as breeding quality bucks

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Does that are close to 145 go into a kidding stall at nite, they are out with the others thru the day, this gets them comfortable with being "separate". I try to keep the doe and kids separate from the rest til the kids can move fast enough in case of an aggressive doe.

Disbuds are done per request only.... and usually within 2 weeks. I do give CD/T at 4 and 7 weeks as well as castrate( Band) bucklings.

Wormings are done before they leave.

I have never sold an intact "pet", castration is done by banding....and the new owners are educated on the care of that area when they are picked up.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use the banding method.

7. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Guest

Jan 18, 2009
    ok something more for me to read up on lol

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it is a simple procedure that you can do with two people (not possible do to alone!) and you dont need a vet to accomplish it so you save money.

9. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Heh, I band by myself so it is possible. Just sit the kid in your lap on his rump and slip the bands on. On a wiggly kid another set of hand might be helpful.

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I also band by myself..it is easier with two, one to hold the goat and one to band.