The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! Pregnant goat question. Welcomed a pregnant doe to our farm a few weeks ago that should have been due around this time. Pregnancy was confirmed mid September. The first day we had her at our farm (2nd week of Oct) I noticed her backend looked all wet like she had sat in a puddle. When I caught her it wasn’t actually wet, just looked wet and was crusty. Noticed a small amount of amber colored drainage on her vulva. A few days later I noticed dried blood around her tail and trace thin blood around her vulva. The trace bleeding lasted a day or two. I never found a dead kid on the ground. She never acted unwell. Ate and drank like a trooper. Vet didn’t want to do anything and just watch her for signs of a retained kid.
Fast forward 4 weeks. She’s doing fine. Doesn’t look pregnant like i would expect a doe at this point to look like. No udder development at all. Not even a little pooch. This would have been her second kidding.
Now tonight I went our to check on all the preggos and see this doe (that I thought had aborted) standing with her back to me and I see a big ole string of partially clear with white streaked mucus coming from her vulva. I locked her up in a kidding pen for the night to be on the safe side. Could she actually still be pregnant? I haven’t felt a kid and like I said she has absolutely no udder. Should I get a blood test? Could she just be going into heat?
Any thoughts would be welcomed!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
She probably isn't I wouldn't think. Does the discharge smell bad at all? I would think it is much more likely to be heat. I have one doe who gets heaps of white/clear discharge all over her during her heats. So I would think that's more likely in this situation.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Oh im sorry... does sound like she aborted. Ultrasound wouldnt hurt to check

Reactions: SunnyRock

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She probably isn't I wouldn't think. Does the discharge smell bad at all? I would think it is much more likely to be heat. I have one doe who gets heaps of white/clear discharge all over her during her heats. So I would think that's more likely in this situation.
No smell. She's eating and drinking just fine. Had the couple days of light bleeding and then nothing more. She's been great.
I wonder if it is heat. She would be 4 weeks post aborting the kid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts