Kidding Question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by JRRandal, Mar 26, 2011.

1. JRRandal

JRRandal New Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Hi Everyone, I was hoping for some help. This morning at 6:00am we kidded our first baby ever. A bouncing 7 pound male. Mommy was doing great and acting completely done, cleaning the baby, eating her food, drinking, letting him nurse, and walking around. We left for my sons soccer game around 9:00 this morning and came home to a second baby. This one is a female and much smaller. (4 pounds) Should I be concerned with the time between the births? I have read alot of great posts on here and can not find anything about this same problem. Could we have another on the way? Sorry if I sound a little frantic but I dont want to loose the mom. Both kids are nursing...but not alot. Overall I think the baby's even if small seem to be doing very well.
    Thanks in advance.

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Welcome to the Goat Spot.

Sounds like they did fine, but of course you should keep an eye on her/them. I guess you don't have any idea if she passed the placenta? That has to happen or she will get very sick. But they often eat it, so if you don't see it happen you might never see it. It isn't likely she will have another. Someone else may have more advice, I never had them that far apart. What kind of goat is she?

Jan

3. JRRandal

JRRandal New Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Thank you! They babies are still not nursing very well. Do you have any idea how much they need to eat the first day? The milk we purchased for bottle feeding says not to start until day 2.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Newborns absolutely need to have moms colostrum for the first 48 hours after birth, Have you seen the kids nursing? Newborns will nurse for a few seconds at a time then usually will sleep, then mama will get them up to nurse again a short time later..the first few days of their lives are short frequent feedings. If their bellies seem full and they are active and not weak or crying out in hunger then I'm sure they're nursing enough.

Are you planning on pulling them from mom to bottle feed? If thats what you choose to do, why not take the milk for their bottles from mama unless theres a health reason why not.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome..... :thumb:

How are their bellies...are they full....? you may just be going out ..after the kids already finished nursing..... :wink:

Just like Liz mentioned are you going to bottle feed...instead of letting them stay on mom..?

6. JRRandal

JRRandal New Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Thank you all! Last night I went ahead and timed their nursings over 2 hours. I could stare at baby goats all night. They would nurse for 10-20 seconds sometimes a minute or so and then lay down or go cuddle with the other kid who would then get up to eat.

We didnt plan on bottle feeding but I was so concerned with the lack of time so we rushed out to get milk.

Another question, can we bottle feed and let them nurse or is that a goat no-no?

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome...

In nature.... momma...will only allow the kids to nurse very little each time.....if you watch mom.. she will...jump off of them and move on....she allows them on and off throughout the day......which with each session... they are not getting much .... but it adds up throughout the day.... this is protecting the babies from over eating....
    If they are nursing and mom isn't moving away.... but the kids are...then they are getting what they need....

If you feel the bellies and they are not full...and you feel they should have more....then you can supplement... otherwise they sound OK... but I am not there to feel there tummies... use your best judgment... :wink:

You can bottle feed and keep them on mom...