The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a doe, she will be a FF this year. She was ORIGINALLY bred October 15th, which would make her due on March 14th-ish I think...I'd have to check back. But we thought we saw her come back in heat and bred by a buck about a month later I think beginning of November, if she was bred then she would be due April 7th or 8th. Anyways! So it SEEMS like her ligaments are gone, BUT this is my first doe to give birth on the farm, so I could TOTALLY be wrong...
So first wondering if it's possible she was bred the first time? I guess we'd eventually see... Lol.
2, I've read all the stuff about ligaments, but also read some people can't tell with FF..so who knows!
3, her milk hasn't dropped yet either.

the reason I'm thinking about all this is I went to feed the does this AM and she was acting a little weird and not eating with the rest. she is eating now and fine left her in a stall just in case for tonight. may go back and check on her.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I always keep a watch on the udder. FF especially. My girls all have a larger udder, that looks shiny. That tells me, any day now..we have little ones. Usually, if a doe is bred, she wont re-breed a month later. She may not have been impregnated with the first attempt at breeding. Where the next month she settled.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always keep a watch on the udder. FF especially. My girls all have a larger udder, that looks shiny. That tells me, any day now..we have little ones. Usually, if a doe is bred, she wont re-breed a month later. She may not have been impregnated with the first attempt at breeding. Where the next month she settled.
Okay! yeah that was what I was thinking, although when she came in heat the second time my dog was having puppies so we could have mistaken it...we'll see soon I guess..

·
Registered
262 Posts
I didn't know how to judge ligaments the first go. More experience and it became easy.

Watch the shape and height of the baby belly. Does will "drop" lower just as a human. It varies greatly doe to doe, but if you see her at least twice a day you should be able to notice a new sort of "hollow" forward of the pin bones when she drops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts