The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nigerian dwarf goat is due June 6th, this is a first for her and me. She lives in my 4th stall in the barn 10X12 and has a large outdoor run. How big do I make her kidding pen? and I have another goat that she is completely attached to do I remove her when she starts? or do I just block half of the stall and keep them separated? and how long would I separate them after the kid is born. I am a complete newbie at this and could use alot of advice.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I only separate my does if I cant be there and they look close OR just after they kid. I find its more stressful on the does to be taken from their companions. I leave my does separate from the herd for up to a week depending on the moms bonding with the kids and how good the kids are on their new legs. Sometimes its only a day or two other times its a full week.

But I have a herd of goats -- when there is only 2 I usually find that the companion isnt much of a threat to the kids and they can all stay together.

My kidding stalls are 4X6 for minis

·
14,615 Posts
Mine all stay together till the very last minute. When a doe goes into labor, everybody usually gives her plenty of room.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much, I will leave them together then. Very excited and nervous at the same time. Just hoping everything goes well. My vet said usually first time moms only have 1 kid, have you found this to be the norm?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had one FF this year that delivered a single and I had a FF First Fresher and she had twins all depends on the goat

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My nigerian dwarf goat is due June 6th, this is a first for her and me. She lives in my 4th stall in the barn 10X12 and has a large outdoor run. How big do I make her kidding pen? and I have another goat that she is completely attached to do I remove her when she starts? or do I just block half of the stall and keep them separated? and how long would I separate them after the kid is born. I am a complete newbie at this and could use alot of advice.
My kidding pens are generally 5' X 5', but can be 5' X 10'. I usually only use them in the winter time, though. If the weather is warm, I keep as close an eye on them as I can (depends on time of year, and whether we are irrigating yet) and deal with problems as they arise. With winter kidding, the doe is moved to the kidding pen when she is close to kidding (thick, white, opaque discharge) and does and kids are kept separate from the herd for 24-48 hours - mostly because the kids need the heat lamp for that period of time. With summer kiddings they are usually not separated at all. I would not allow another doe in with a doe that is/has kidded - especially if she is a first timer, the other doe will only make the kidding doe more nervous/agitated. First timers are flighty enough, they don't need additional stress.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a 10x12 stall with an attached run. I have a 10 ft panel of chain link that I can make a kidding pen 4x10 And separate them or should I just move her into another 10x12 stall and completely separate them? It's just 2 does who have been together since they were born and both are just over a year now. Im sure ill have a ton other questions as she's getting close now.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Did we get a picture of this doe or did I miss it? lol.

We kidded this year a little later, the weather was pretty good and I let several does kid outside. I then moved them into their stall in the barn, to bond with their kids. Usually we kid the end of Feb, early March...and they go into the kidding stall at night or when they are in labor. I will take a good "friend" in with them, then evict friend when labor starts.

I've had several ff kid with singles (hate that, don't overfed mama or you make huge kids), but then I've had several twins and a couple kid with trips. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, no I didn't post a pic. I will do that today. Her due date is tomorrow and I can tell her ligaments are going and she was very quiet this morning and just wanted to be with me and lick my watch for some strange reason. Never done that before. I'm hoping its soon and goes well, first time for both of us is a little scary. I tried not to over feed her for the fear of big kids.

·
Registered
584 Posts
its ok dont worry, my goat just gave birth and was the same, very quiet because she feels unright

1 - 13 of 13 Posts