Kidding Season in Full Swing

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by ProctorHillFarm, Sep 25, 2009.

1. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

We must be crazy- this year we have a TON of early kiddings- we just bred our 9th doe today for 2010!

Funny enough- last year my early 2009 kids were the healthiest and grew the best. So my thinking is, A) Most of the does getting bred are junior does Ive been sitting on waiting for them to be big enough to breed- and I want to see their udders! B) We have really weatherproofed our barn and we have hanging quartz heaters to take the chill off the kids so temperature should not be an issue inside the barn C) resulting keeper kids will be ready to breed sooner than a kid that was born say summertime of the same year, so Im going to get to see what all of my new buck purchases throw for udders sooner

I guess the only downside I see is that if a FF doe is really show worthy- she will most likely be stale by the time show season rolls around, but there is always her second freshening right!
    Oh- and sitting out in the barn in 20 degree wether :help: :)

Im waiting to breed my show does to freshen nicely for show season- but the junior does and "brood does" are mostly getting bred- with the exception of a few that need to grow some more before im comfortable breeding them.

Anyway- Ill take now to put a plug in for myself too- :)
    We have got lots of nice kiddings planned for next year.
    We spent this year really decided where we wanted to go with our breeding program and purchasing nice stock from far and wide to accomplish that goal.
    We are on 305 DHI test- so most of our does should get their titles next year (this years test didnt go well since I wasnt able to milk all of my does for most of the summer!), and many bucklings that will be available should be *S bucks too.
    I will ship kids- and groundtransportation and air transport is available- if you see anything that interests you just let me know! There are links next to each breeding pair that show the future pedigree of the kids!
    http://www.proctorhill.com/kiddingschedule.htm

2. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

That sounds awesome. Can't wait to see pics when they kid. :drool:. You've got lots of gorgeous does.
    How long before showing seasong do your does kid?

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Thank You! :hug:

My main show does I will probably plan to kid sometime in late may/early Juneish- the majority of the shows we go to are in June and July with just a handful earlier on in the spring, and a few in the fall

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How exciting.....I love kidding season.... :love: :greengrin:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah! I cant wait for kids. too bad I went a little crazy and bred 5 does within 2 days *faints* .

oh well. cant wait for kids :clap:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Don't feel bad Katrina.....I had all my does last year....kid within the same week...got the kidding done real quickly....LOL .. :D ....alot of which... kidded ....at the same moment.....Oh boy ....was that work....but yet...we still keep doing it ....We will never learn...and it is happening again this breeding season...they are all coming in around the same time.....Rossi had six does all in season wanting him to service them.... :doh: :help:

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    You think that's bad? I bred 5 in one day. YIKES!!!! Yes I'm a looney toon. Apparently I'm a gluton for punishment. I can't wait though. :)

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

It can be over whelming. But i love having early kids like that Proctor. the cocci count and the worm count is sooooo much lower. And like you say then kids are bigger at shows and by the time fair rolls around they're huge. I find that if i feed my does well even FF does are giving a good amount of milk come the end of summer. A lot of it depends on your grain and hay schedules.
    beth