Kidding soon?

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by jona, Jan 15, 2011.

1. jona

jona New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    This is going to be my first kidding and I just can't figure out if my doe is getting close or still has 5-6 weeks to go.
    I bought this doe Aug 20. She had been with the buck since July prior to coming to me. She did seem to be in heat and we put her with our buck 9/24. I did see him breed her repeatedly over the next few days. So I was pretty sure she would not be due until end of February.
    Then she started getting really big, her udder is bigger now than it was when I was still milking her (she was FF when I got her) and her teats seem to have filled. Her ligaments are completely soft, way different than my other doe's who is for sure due end of Feb. But all these signs developed 4 days ago and there has not been any change since then. Here are the pictures. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hi there jona!

If she was last bred 9/24 she can go as early as Feb 16th or as late as the 26th. Even if she had been bred up to the day you had picked her up, she'd be due within the week.
    When did you stop milking her?

Seeing udder growth is normal 4-6 weeks before the due date, normally though, the teats don't fill until delivery is iminent.

3. jona

jona New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    I stopped milking about 2 months ago.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Did her udder shrink down after you stopped? Her udder started to fill to this point in the last few days? I'm guessing here but she was either settled with an earlier breeding or is going to be a very capacious milker this freshening.

5. jona

jona New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Her udder completely shrank after drying up. It has filled up only this week.

6. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I only have one doe with teats that nice, and unfortunately she isn't bred, and I have no way to breed her til we get our new buck in June....I :love: that doe's udder it is beautiful, I am :drool:!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have you tried to feel on the right side or just in front of the udder... for kid movement....?

Also ...you can also have a sonogram or pregnancy test done... to see if... she is preggo for sure.... :wink: :thumb:

8. jona

jona New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Thanks for all the answers. Since she has not delivered, it looks like she would not be due until about Feb 20 - she certainly was not exposed to any buck between 8/20 and 9/24.
    It's just that her udder is so big, I can't imagine, poor girl still has 4-5 wks left to go
    My other doe who was bred at the same time looks much smaller and her udder is just barely starting to develop. Well, I guess they are all different :?
    And yes, I can feel the kids moving, so she's got to be pregnant, but who knows :wink:

9. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Hi there Jona
    One thing for sure, those ligaments can be surprisingly evasive. Sometimes you think they are really gone and sometimes if you feel deeper or higher, you will find them to be still there! The arch of the tail bone is another good thing to look at and also are her teats and udder hard and full?
    Good luck to you ..
    let us all know
    Carlene :chin:

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is good..... :wink: :thumb:

11. jona

jona New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    She kidded with triplets 2/18! No wonder she looked so big. I posted pictures in the birth announcements section.

12. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Wow! Congratulations and can't wait to see pictures of your three babies! And I agree with the others, nice udder!