Kidding Stall Ready

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by kelebek, Nov 19, 2007.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    As some of you might know - it seems that one of my goats may have been bred when I received her, which makes her due 1 1/2 months before I thought that she should be kidding from my buck! And so I am in panic state now.

Hopefully hubby will bring the "cha-cha" pics home tonight for you all~

Anyway, this weekend, we moved all the hay into another storage area, cleaned the kidding stall - made it "kid" proof, built a shelf high enough that no one can get to it but my jumper, and got new clean straw down for kidding.

Now here is my question, the stall is huge! Like mabey 12 feet by 8 feet. Should I shrink it down and mabey section it? Or do you think this will be ok? Does it have to be another doe in with her until delivery time, or can it be a wether, as her "friend" is a wether moreso then another doe?

So many questions that come to mind in the middle of the night when I lay in bed staring at the ceiling nervous as heck!

Thanks to all for the help in learning the whole love of caprine husbandry!
    :D :hair:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yes a wether is fine company and especially if she likes to hang with him.

sounds like a lot of room! hehe that is the size that all my goats have for the norm!! (dad's going to build me a barn soon).

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Mine would die or kill each other if I had all nine in that small of area!

Another question - what disbudding iron would you all reccommend that I purchase for the babies? So many to choose from!

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You would want enough space for mom to be able to stretch out and push when the time comes but not so small that the baby is in danger of being laid on...also you wouldn't want a baby to have to "find" mom for dinner.LOL. Sounds like you are gonna be nuts waiting...I hate not knowing due dates.

Being short on space and long on does til now, my girls had stalls that are 4-1/2 x 4 feet...was plenty of room for the kids to pile in a corner to sleep and still have mom close but comfortable...worked well for the last 5 years!..Now I have 2 kidding stalls that are boxed on the bottom to prevent drafts across the floor and hopefully I won't have the need for a third as I plan on introducing the kids to the common area at 2 weeks old. The size of your stall is bigger than the 10x 10 I had originally divided for 3 does! Now I have 4 and really need the space.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I think come March if both of my pygmies settled, I might be splitting the stall -

hey what about 2 does that love each other and have been through everything in the same birthing stall? LOL!

then there is the niger/pyg cross that has been running with bucks her whole life - what if she goes LOL! She has never been prego and doc thought mabey hermaphoriditic.... who kows.

The life of a newbie and caprines!

6. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    As to disbudding irons, I'd get the Rhinehart X30. It's alot cheaper than the X50 and I think it's just as good. It gets super hot and does a nice job very quickly.

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I like the Portosol disbudding iron (from Hoeggers I think) it gets REALLY hot and does a very clean job. My friend has used it on about 200-300 kids and not one scur - it's a great.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have a Wal Lenk and I LOVE IT! I used it on all my goats this past year and was extremely happy. I bought the rhinehart X30 and resold it because it was way to hot for my little pygmies! I was terrified I was going to burn them. There was so much smoke and I couldnt' see his head. I thought I did it for long enough but he ended up having to be reburned with the Wal lenk.

That said many people love the X30 and find it to be better then the wal lenk which you have to hold on longer and provide a little more pressure.