The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be fun so share some funny/interesting kidding stories!

The most interesting thing I have to share is my doe went into labor late at night on Mother’s Day. I was young so I didn’t stay up with her. Early the next morning (when it was still dark) my dad brought my little Otis inside and I woke up with a baby goat on my lap! Oh the memories. I’m so looking forward to more kids in May!

I also had a doe who was super small during her pregnancy (I thought she only had one) but when she went into labor she just kept pushing them out! I kept saying “another one?!” She gave me triplets when I thought she had a single!

Let’s hear your stories!

·
Registered
101 Posts
My does like to surprise me... twice I've been "gifted" with an extra goat more than I expected. I had a FF Nubian doe who was a huge girl, once we took her to the vet concerned about her weight because she was thin at 175lbs. She was pregnant and not showing much, so I only suspected twins. She kidded, and sure enough, buck/doe twins. I was helping clean up the doeling and reached to my left (toward her tail) to grab another towel, and there was another kid lying there! I never even saw her have a contraction....

That very same surprise doe kid surprised me again when she kidded this year. She is another big girl, and she was getting larger than last year so I knew she wasn't carrying twins. I suspected triplets because she was acting just like her dam, refusing to get on the milking stand in the last few days. Sure enough, she had triplets. She acted like she was done, I was expecting the very minor contractions I saw to be the afterbirth, ANOTHER KID. She gave me quadruplets, and the last one was also a surprise because he was a different color from the other 3. All 4 were born oddly--first two were head only, second two were back feet first. Thankfully, she's a big girl and they were little and she had no problems birthing them. All bucks, though....

If she ever gives me a doe, I'll have to watch that girl like a hawk because this family sure loves to surprise me....

·
Registered
560 Posts
My does like to surprise me... twice I've been "gifted" with an extra goat more than I expected. I had a FF Nubian doe who was a huge girl, once we took her to the vet concerned about her weight because she was thin at 175lbs. She was pregnant and not showing much, so I only suspected twins. She kidded, and sure enough, buck/doe twins. I was helping clean up the doeling and reached to my left (toward her tail) to grab another towel, and there was another kid lying there! I never even saw her have a contraction....

That very same surprise doe kid surprised me again when she kidded this year. She is another big girl, and she was getting larger than last year so I knew she wasn't carrying twins. I suspected triplets because she was acting just like her dam, refusing to get on the milking stand in the last few days. Sure enough, she had triplets. She acted like she was done, I was expecting the very minor contractions I saw to be the afterbirth, ANOTHER KID. She gave me quadruplets, and the last one was also a surprise because he was a different color from the other 3. All 4 were born oddly--first two were head only, second two were back feet first. Thankfully, she's a big girl and they were little and she had no problems birthing them. All bucks, though....

If she ever gives me a doe, I'll have to watch that girl like a hawk because this family sure loves to surprise me....
That is so crazy, and hilarious!

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,765 Posts
My Goat cupcake looked like she was carrying 3 babies and when the time came we were with her for 5 hours and nothing was happening. She finally stood up and BOOM her water broke and she started pushing on the 6th push we had feet coming out but the head was turning back as she was pushing. So I stuck my fingers in and got the head straight and held on to the feet so they wouldn't slip back in and with a couple more big pushs out comes a little cutie. From the moment I seen the baby I new it was a buck. And sure enough he was....She kept pushing here and there but nothing was coming out but afterbirth...yep she only gave me a single buckling...she looked like she had 3 in there but only gave me 1...oh well I kept the buckling LOL

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,765 Posts
And my other goat that i rehomed a month ago her name was Betty. The day after Cupcake had her kid Betty had hers...i was going to do morning feeding and yep she had twins. She also looked like she had 3 but oh well lol sadly a few days after she had them we lost the little girl. And a couple weeks later we lost the boy due to him almost weaning himself onto grass at such a young age...here is a picture when she was a couple months pregnant sorry I don't have a good picture of what her belly looked like. Before she left our farm she was bred to our buck Gizmo and is due in the end of June. Im so excited to see what she has!

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
I had a lamancha give birth to twin boys. Dilivered her placentas quickly after. I was bummed because we only got 3 girls so far and we were done! Tons of boys everywhere. I told Bunny how I felt as kindly as I could, not wanting to upset the new mom but I was really bummed ...after helping Bunny clean the boys, went to the barn and grabbed the iodine to dip their cords. I came back out and started dipping bellies. One baby...second baby...third baby. Wait..Bunny only had two...nope..she was so sad for me she pushed a girl out for me lol.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I had a lamancha give birth to twin boys. Dilivered her placentas quickly after. I was bummed because we only got 3 girls so far and we were done! Tons of boys everywhere. I told Bunny how I felt as kindly as I could, not wanting to upset the new mom but I was really bummed ...after helping Bunny clean the boys, went to the barn and grabbed the iodine to dip their cords. I came back out and started dipping bellies. One baby...second baby...third baby. Wait..Bunny only had two...nope..she was so sad for me for pushed a girl out for me lol.
Oh m goodness! That’s so cute, and Bunny is amazing! 💜

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I love reading these! I don't have any really exciting kidding stories to share. But my first kidding experience, last spring, is my favorite so far. It was outside, on a warm day, just at sunset. Everything went the way it was supposed to. My little nephew, who had been talking about baby goats for days, got to come up to the fence and quietly watch. I love including the kiddos in my work, so I explained to him what was happening and why. I was hoping to make it an enjoyable experience for him, and show him that birth is normal and not traumatic. He wasn't a very talkative kid, and his sole comment afterward was to state calmly that, "Josie pooped out a baby." That still makes me chuckle, and is a great memory for all of us.

·
8,495 Posts
I had twins born this morning. The mom was a first timer, her first kid was a big old buckling. Pushing him out was pretty difficult for
her, so I helped. Wow, he was big, just as I was picking him up to dry him, another kid shot out like a bullet out of a gun! It was a
little doe, normal size for a Toggenburg, but so much smaller looking compared to her brother who looked like a giant!

She hit the ground, I cleared her face and she proceeded to yell! She wanted to eat! She was minutes old and threw a tantrum.
All I could do was laugh! I stuck her on her moms' teat, she latched on and proceeded to nurse like she had done it before!

Everytime that doe moved, she screamed~ A very vocal and opinionated little doe, for sure! Out of the 50 born this last few weeks, she
is by far the most vocal and opinionated!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Mine has been my only kidding so far. I had been reading through here like crazy and was expecting the discharge, off feed, stretching, calling, typical labor stuff. But nope. The only way I knew she would go was that her ligaments were gone and her udder was bigger. I spent a few hours with her in her kidding stall and she showed NO signs of being in labor. So I decided to let her and the other girls out and we went for a little walk in the woods and she acted so normal I thought I was crazy! Her ligs were gone! How long can a doe possibly hold out?! Half an hour later I put them back in their pens and went to check on Tilly. She got up and layed down a few times, but no discharge at all. 5 minutes later she was pushing out the little girl. I was taking a video of the girl when I saw the boys head coming out. Both got dried off and were up in no time.
The part that boggles my mind is that there was no discharge at all. She showed no signs until litterally 5 minutes before. She screamed a few times during labor, but the whole thing was over in probably 20 minutes. I'm glad there were no problems though. Everyone is happy and healthy.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I had twins born this morning. The mom was a first timer, her first kid was a big old buckling. Pushing him out was pretty difficult for
her, so I helped. Wow, he was big, just as I was picking him up to dry him, another kid shot out like a bullet out of a gun! It was a
little doe, normal size for a Toggenburg, but so much smaller looking compared to her brother who looked like a giant!

She hit the ground, I cleared her face and she proceeded to yell! She wanted to eat! She was minutes old and threw a tantrum.
All I could do was laugh! I stuck her on her moms' teat, she latched on and proceeded to nurse like she had done it before!

Everytime that doe moved, she screamed~ A very vocal and opinionated little doe, for sure! Out of the 50 born this last few weeks, she
is by far the most vocal and opinionated!
Awwwww!!! 💜 how cute!!! That little for sounds like a doeling I had recently... 😂 so noisy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts