Kidding Supplies

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by StaceyRosado, Oct 18, 2007.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Please list supplies you keep on hand for kidding. Anything pre and post birth as well.

Note what others have posted before you before posting so that there aren't repeat posts of the same supplies. Thank you.
  2. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Ok... let's see if I can keep from forgetting anything...

Iodine- for umbilical cord
    Towels- PLENTY for cleaning up the baby(s) and Mom if necessary
    Wormer- for Mom after delivery
    Gloves- incase of complications
    Penicilin- also incase of complications and you have to go in

hhhmmmm... I am sure I am forgetting something.... some people keep scales handy for weighing... oh and of course a camera for all the cute pics :D

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Bucket of warm molasses water
    Lots of towels
    dry bedding for afterwards
    stool to sit on
    big cup of coffee

my moniter is always on so hubby can listen in on me coaching and comforting my girls...then he comes to see the babies after all is done.
    (Mind you that he's warm and comfy while I'm usually froze!!)
  4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    I make a list and keep all handy in a bucket that is sealed.

cotton balls
    puppy pads: to give kids a clean place to land
    dental floss: to tie off umbilical cords
    sterile surgical scissors: to cut long umbilical cords
    bucket for warm water
    hand milker
    heat lamp
    clean bedding

I am sure I am forgetting something and I will add to my list as I remember.
  5. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    BoSe - for the kids if you give it
    Scale - get birth weight
    Paper - keep records
    Propylene Glycol - ketosis
    aspirator - in case need to get yuck out of kid's mouth or nose
    Strong antibiotic - in case something crazy happens
    Vet's number
    stethescope - check kid's heart (detect abnormalities)'
    coffee - in case kid needs fast energy (VERY little)
    Tube - in case it won't eat
    colostrum powder or frozen colostrum - in case mom doesn't have it or kid ain't getting it
  6. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Banamine - shock or temp
  7. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    old medicine bottle (kind pills come in) or plastic case on syringes to put the iodine in to dip the navel
  8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, this is great. I have my supply cabinet ready for the kidding season to start, but s a challenge, to my 4Her,s I have asked them to email me the things that they thing they should have on hand. I was asked by some of the new kids that are in or group this year, and instead of me doing it I told all the "old" kids to get the list to me and I would get it together for everyone and give it out at the next meeting. We are doing the same for a SIMPLE vet kit. I have one kit for kidding and a separate one for the regular med kit, that way I do not have to have ALL the stuff out in the barn f I don't need it. I have left stuff out there and it froze, so it has saved me money.

The only thing I see that I have in my kidding kit that is not listed is
    Thermometer .

I think you all did it. Great list.
  9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I also throw some plastic bags in there to clean everything up afterwords. Something to put afterbirth and if there are any - dead kids in.
    scissors vets number goat peoples number in case you need help towels clean straw kid feeding tube and syringe hair dryer heat treated colostrum one of those things to suck gunk out of kids nose and mouth treat for mom usually nuts or something snacks for you maybe a set of cards sometimes it takes awhile iodine and dental floss molasses a cahir for you a blanket it gets cold in the barn some nights.
    this is all i can think of for now.

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    This is copied from an article I wrote:
    For kidding remedies, we give Caulophyllum 30c 3x a week the month before they kid, and a week after they kid. This helps to tone the uterus and prepare it for birth. It also helps in preventing retained placenta. The week before the does are due to kid, they get Pulsatilla 30c, this also helps with the uterus and will actually help to get the kids into position before they kid. If a doe has a hard delivery where we have to go in and assist, we don't give penicillin. We give Sepia 30c for a week. Sepia also works if you have a bad mother that really isn't interested in her kids. Those three remedies, are all womens remedies. Also, after paticularly hard births, does get Arnica Montana 30c for pain, bruising and swelling. Arnica is a good remedy to keep around anyway for pain.
    For kids, right after they are born, kids get Antimonium Tart. This helps with treating and preventing asparation. Dose: 30c once an hour for a couple hours. Kids also get E Coli nosode at birth. The E coli nosode is to be giving at birth, 12, 24, 36, 48 and 72 hours. For kids that act "dead" or seem to fail to thrive or like they aren't going to make it, they get Carbo Veg. 30c. This remedy helps to treat shock or morbid patients.
    Kids also get Calc Phos 30c. This helps with growing, and helps them to grow into strong productive animals.

We have done our own personal experiements and have found that does who do not get Caulophyllum or Pulsatilla before kidding have more kidding problems that the does that do get it.
  11. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Sarah, where do you get all of your natural stuff for your goats? I'm all for doing things naturally whenever possible. Just curious.
  12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    email me, and I can give you references and instructions on how to deal with and administer homeopathic remedies, as well as where to get them. :)
  13. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I emailed you. :lol:
  14. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    these lists look great. i'm not planning any kiddings any time soon, but still these look great.
    do you ever need
    lubricant to ease exams? rubber gloves? the sanitzer hand washes?
  15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Mineral oil works the best for lubricant, I don't wear latex gloves to assist because I can't grab anything with them. I usually wash off with hot soapy water then cover my arms with towels and go back out to the barn.
    After births are assisted, we give large doses of vitamin C mix with warm water and raisins. This prevents any uterine infections and also helps them get all the placenta out.
  16. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    i was thinking of ky jelly for lubricant, doesn't leave an oily mess behind. i know you like vit c, but i would also be more comfortable with an antibiotic if i had done much internal maneuvering. the large exposed area of the uterus, where the placenta was attached, is a direct route for bacteria to the blood stream, plus any tears along the birth canal. hand washing must be with friction and for at least ten minutes to be effective, as well; arms, too.
  17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Well for the past 2 kidding seasons we have only used Vitamin C in high doses after assisting and we havne't had problems with uterine infections. In fact, to give you an example of how much we don't use anti biotics, I had a doe that got sick, I couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. Gave her remedies for morbidness and also penicillin(I was desperate) I have a feeling that the pen. weakened her immune system because she has had 3 really bad cases of mastitis this year and she had no problems last year and none of hte other girls in the same barn she is in have any problems.
    JMO, I only use anti biotics now if it is absolutely necessary.
  18. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I agree, I hated giving my goats Anti Biotics for pnuemonia, they didn't get better until I gave them whey (a natural anti biotic)
  19. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Really? Whey is a natural anti biotic? I didn't know that.
    Garlic is also a natural anti biotic(they say garlic is more powerful than anything you can give) but since we milk our girls, I try to use that only if I absolutely have too. We sometimes pack wounds with garlic and its great stuff. :D
  20. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Iv'e heard about garlic. Yeah Whey is what some organic famers use in place of anti biotics and it works better than any anti biotic AND it doesn't kill the good bacteria.