The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ellie - our doe that was dumped by our property on February 12 - and we fell in love with - is most definitely pregnant. The vet confirmed it with a blood test - we've had her 80 days - she was already pregnant so she could be due who knows when!
We're preparing for the kids - and have started a supply list - please let us know what we are missing - we are First Time Goat Owners! or should I say Adopters LOL.

I've read on here about molasses water - just add some molasses to water? Ratio?
  • rectal thermometer
  • 2 bottles with teats in case she won't nurse
  • iodine to wipe the cord area
  • towels for wrapping (and I've been told to swing them)
The vet will be out when the kids come if she can - but with her schedule it could take a day or two. Any advise will be greatly appreciated !!

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
That is so exciting! You will fall in love 😍 even more!!!
As for a kidding supply kit, @MellonFriend has a great list. Maybe she will share it?

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,232 Posts
My list is very complete so don't feel pressured to get all this stuff. I made bold the things I actually used in my first two kiddings which were both relatively uneventful. Not saying the bold things are the most important, but I thought it might be helpful information. 😉

Tools and Supplies

□ Puppy Pee Pads
□ Dental Floss (non mint)
Towels Get way more than you think you'll need.
□ Surgical scissors
□ Scalpel
Disposable gloves
OB Gloves
□ Thermometer
□ Collar
□ Lead
□ Tubing Syringe (Stomach tube & 60cc syringe)
Scale (Hanging scale and one of those reusable grocery bags)
□ 3cc syringes and 6cc syringes
□ Assorted Needles
□ Cotton Balls
Paper Towels
□ Baby Wipes
Empty Feed Bags (4 per doe)
Flashlight
□ Extra Flaslight Batteries
□ Fingernail Clippers
□ Nasal Bulb
Don't know what I'd do without it
□ 1ml Oral syringes
□ Kid Sweaters
□ Ketone Strips
□ Drenching syringe
Pill Bottle for iodine dip
□ Small Bucket for warm water

□ Plastic Soda Bottles
Camera
□ Nipples (2 different types)
Vet's Phone Number
□ Favorite Goat Care Book
□ Lamb Puller
Trash Bags
□ Mastitis indicators
□ Something to Put Extra Colostrum in

□ And of course some way to dispatch a doe or kid in the event that it's needed

Medicine Etc.

7% Iodine Solution
□ Lubricant (J-lube, mineral oil, KY liquid)

□ Nutri-Drench or Power Punch
Electrolytes
□ Probiotic Paste
□ Black Strap Molasses

□ Colostrum Replacer
□ Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate
□ Baking Soda
□ Penicillin (Procaine G)
□ Antibacterial Soap or Betadine
□ Cayenne Pepper
□ Honey
□ Cod Liver Oil Capsules

·
Registered
921 Posts
@MellonFriend has a great list! I've just got a few items to add. These are all things I have used at least once, and might have really struggled had I been without them:
Injectable B- complex - you can give a small amount to a kid that is weak and struggling, or to the doe, if she is having a harder recovery.
Selenium (I use selenium/e gel). If the kids are born weak, or have weak pasterns, give a pea sized amount, rubbed inside their mouths. It is good to give the doe a dose of selenium during the last couple weeks of pregnancy.
Oral CMPK, or other form of calcium. If the doe is having weak contractions or trouble expelling her placenta, the calcium can help her move things along.
Syringes and needles. I like to have 10 or 12 mil syringes on hand, as well as some smaller ones that have the half mils marked.
1" 20 gauge and 18 gauge needles.
Banamine (this requires a vet prescription. I was finally able to get a whole bottle, and I use it so much for disbudding kids, etc. It is good to give if the doe has a hard kidding and is in a lot of pain).
Preparation H to rub on the vulva after the doe kids, if she seems really sore back there.
Old blow dryer. You can warm up a chilled kid by making a tent out of towels and blowing the warm air into it.

·
8,105 Posts
One caution about using Banamine after kidding- don't use it until the placenta has dropped or she will get a retained placenta.
Banamine will stop the uterine contractions- it works on smooth muscles. You want that uterus to contract- that helps get it back to normal, non pregnant
shape. But, if the labor was very long or she is in alot of pain- after the placenta is dropped, a dose of Banamine will help.

·
Registered
921 Posts
One caution about using Banamine after kidding- don't use it until the placenta has dropped or she will get a retained placenta.
Banamine will stop the uterine contractions- it works on smooth muscles. You want that uterus to contract- that helps get it back to normal, non pregnant
shape. But, if the labor was very long or she is in alot of pain- after the placenta is dropped, a dose of Banamine will help.
Thanks for adding that!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts