The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My barn does not have electricity and never has. Last year I had an extension cord from our pool house to the barn where I plugged in heat lamps and other lights. I don’t plan on doing that this year. I am building some new kidding pens/stalls. I am wondering if anyone has some advice for me to keep things warm enough for babies. I help deliver so I am there to help dry off babies and what not.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Before we got heat lamps, our neighbor said put bricks wrapped in tin foil in the oven for about 45 minutes, wrap a towel around and put in their bed. Also (doesn't last long) but we took plenty of towels warmed from the dryer and the last idea is a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. Problem with that is you have to change it out because it gets cool before morning and would actually pull warmth from the baby. But it really lasts longer than you would think and they sure do cuddle up against it, it's soft like mama.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have also read about deep bedding. I like to layer bedding in their shelters. In my bucks pen he has a small shelter with a pallet on the bottom then a super thick layer of straw. The shelter is kind of on a hill so the pallet lets the water drain underneath the straw instead of through it. I do have to take it out to get all the poop and mud out from under it but it keep everything dry. I am going to do that to the kidding shelters too but I am still worried.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I lived in a freezing mountainous area for years and didn't ever use anything electric for warmth.
I put a dog igloo in the pen with the kids once they're 24 hours old.
I also do the deep bedding method.
Once they're dry, they are great! I had newborns in zero degrees with no problems.
The only time I lost kids in the cold, they were already small and weak and the cold just added to the issues. I haven't had any issues with healthy kids. Just make sure they get dried off quickly and have a way to get out of the weather.
Also be sure that water buckets are tied up so they don't get tipped over on the kids.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I lived in a freezing mountainous area for years and didn't ever use anything electric for warmth.
I put a dog igloo in the pen with the kids once they're 24 hours old.
I also do the deep bedding method.
Once they're dry, they are great! I had newborns in zero degrees with no problems.
The only time I lost kids in the cold, they were already small and weak and the cold just added to the issues. I haven't had any issues with healthy kids. Just make sure they get dried off quickly and have a way to get out of the weather.
Also be sure that water buckets are tied up so they don't get tipped over on the kids.
The only time I lost kids was when we had a cold snap and the doe, a first freshener, wasn’t in full on labor. She wasn’t dilated and she had no idea what to do. The kids were premature and I just couldn’t get their body temps up. The does ended up having a pinched nerve but made a full recovery.

·
Registered
Goat Slave
3,518 Posts
We live in deep east TX, north of Houston. I don't use heat lamps. I make the babies caves. I've used halves of plastic dog kennels, barrels, etc. Wrap in a tarp, fill with shavings. They get in them and stay nice and warm. It was low 20s and I stick my hand in there and it was warm. Ears and noses warm too. Babies need to be dry and have full bellies.

·
Super Moderator
36,387 Posts
I live near Waco..ish....we dont use heat source. We use deep bedding and I put a dog house top or a carry on kennel just large enough for babies to crawl under/in. (Dont want moms thinking it's for them.) Keeping babies out of wind and rain is usually all that's needed here. That and making sure they are nursing well..pooping good and playful. I like to add a large rock or log in their pen for babies to play on..

·
Registered
995 Posts
I live about 80 miles south of you. I typically use a plastic IBC tote with lots of clean, dry hay. If it's freezing, I put a heat lamp in the top of it. Most of the time, mom's body heat and bedding are enough to keep it comfortable inside the tote. The only one's I've lost were the ones that got outside the tote when the temp was in the 20s.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I live in Maine where the temps get waaaay below 0. I don't use a heating source, just straw, after I dry the kids off with a hair dryer and towels. Can you run an extension cord to the barn to use for a hair dryer or a small solar panel? We usually just dry the kids off in a towel and them bring them to the house and use the blow dryer on them until they are fluffy and dry.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
8,998 Posts
I use heat lamps, deep hay. My heat lamps are when we have extreme temperature changes. And in Feb we can drop to -20°. My barn isnt airtight, its metal. My new.kids are put in sweaters. I buy clearance dog sweaters off of Chewy. I only purchase the knitted sweaters that are plain, and slip on. Yes I do that to keep my little ones alive and healthy. Once we are finished with the months of Jan & Feb, no sweaters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts