The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago we got kid crazy and ended up with a lot of baby goats (only a few days old) and learned to get through the ups and downs AND mostly awesome days with babies. What do people call it - Multiple Kid Syndrome. My husband would say, "Come with home 2 more boys" and I would come back with 4. How can you say "no" to cute little boys.

Now, I'm trying to read up on kidding and get all the information I need so that when our 2 girls (first timers) kid in April I will be ready. Yikes, I'm nervous. What if the tail shows first? What if they both try to come at the same time? The more I read, the more nervous I'm becoming. I read one "kidding preparedenss" on the internet and it had over 75 things that you need to buy to be ready. Yowzers!!!!!!!

As much as I read, I realize more and more that I sure do appreciate this forum and all the advice people give and stories they share.

Tonia

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow - great kidding detail. Thanks! I've been watching Youtube videos and reading from different sites/books so I can get some different perspectives.

I'm starting the feed method for delivering during the day this weekend so hopefully we can deliver during the daylight and not be too stressed out.

Do most does deliver within their 150 day range +/- a few days? When do you worry if they are over too many days?

Also, if something happens to mom and you get no colostrum, do you have a good recommendation for a good brand out there that works good. I've used the cow's milk, buttermilk, evap milk recipe, but not until the goats are a little older and have had their first colostrum.

Tonia

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I asked about the colostrum because we have one goat who has a lump in her udder. Last August at the fair, the judge felt it after showing was done and guessed a precocious udder. The vet that we use (has her specializing in the goat area) thought tumor. We bred her and aren't sure what will happen. The vet thought the tumor was on one side and that Frankie (the doe) will produce milk on one side of her udder only.

Since it is our first doe to kid, I'm trying to be prepared. What if the tumor wasn't what anyone thought and there is no milk available? Do I start immediately on Carolyn's recipe and then just make sure everything is incredibly clean (trying to keep things clean already). I've seen colostrum replacements on Hoegger and that is why I was asking too.

Tonia

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.