Kid's cries

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mnspinner, May 4, 2010.

1. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I have a month old buck who occasionally lets out a few drawn out, plaintive cries. It started about a week and a half ago. He is dam raised, good weight, good membrane color, eats well, is on some pasture and grain now. I thought maybe he was constipated, but yesterday I did see him defecate normal looking stool. He urinates normally. He definitely seems at least uncomfortable when he lets out these cries and generally lies down afterwards. Yet not long afterwards he will bounce back and be active.
    Any ideas? Maybe he's still not passing enough stool? I can't figure this one.

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Sometimes those boys can be the biggest babies!
    Mine will holler for no apparent reason, but I gotta ask, has he had is CDT yet?
    Is it shortly after grain time? How much is he getting? He's not bloated is he?
    Any temp?

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
  4. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    He's not eating much grain for that to be a factor I don't think, particularly when this started before he was even on grain. Not bloated, haven't taken his temp; will do that tomorrow. It's just about time for his CD&T - his mom did get her pre-kidding vaccine.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have two who scream their heads off like someone is killing them if they cant see mom or their brother. I am so glad they are going to the same home since they are so attached.

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I have had lambs and kids who sometimes cry out and appear to be in abdominal discomfort/pain. Sometimes it was when they passed manure (normal) and sometimes just whenever. They actually responded to cocci medication. So I think it was an atypical cocci. I have had so many cocci cases that dont follow the text book signs and symptoms. I'm starting to recognise them now.

7. I think there are one or two of these in every herd. I have a doe that will do this in the middle of eating or grazing. Just a bellow of a tell. I guess to say I am here or to hear herself not sure which it is. lol