The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured by almost 6 months old the kids would have weaned off their moms especially with me milking the does daily but doesn't seem that way. Do the kids ever completely wean off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine is the opposite "problem" of which I am inquiring about here. This might NOT be the best page to post this question on. Moderators, if you can and need to, please move it to its appropriate location.

My question is this: is the age of 11 weeks for twins too young for their mom to begin weaning them? Milking is going great! I milk once in the a.m. and get almost 2 quarts from my small-ish ? Nubian/Saanen cross. She loves her babies but isn't all that keen on nursing any more. She'll let them suckle for maybe 1 minute after I milk (she holds back milk for them) and then slowly walks away. She's gentle but firm with them as she meets them "head to head" telling them to STAY AWAY from the "milking station!" I see her letting them suck for that same length of time a couple of times throughout the day but they seem "ok" with her weaning them slowly.

My goats have a huge "goat paradise" of food choices where they roam throughout the day so that babies are eating well and are very playful, healthy and happy.

Just want to be sure that their nursing needs aren't being infringed upon by their Mom, Gater, liking grain and snacks while milking better than feeding her children! Looking forward to your quick reply in case I need to change up something.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
11 weeks is a fine age for moms to wean, fibromom. :)

My does tell their kids when enough is enough. Busy Bee is still letting her 3 month olds nurse, because they were quads and are small. Plus she loves raising them. But she takes no nonsense from one of the bigger kids taking a look at her. She knows when her babies have had enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts