The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read and understand that kids grinding teeth means they are in some sort of pain. I have two bottle babies that are 2 weeks old. They haven't started eating feed yet so I know they aren't chewing their cud. They started doing it after they were disbudded and weathered which was last Monday. But they are super active and act completely normal like nothing is wrong! It's just when they lay down that grind their teeth. Should I be worried?

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Hmmm. I've had several kids here, but our most recent 2 are the only ones that have done the grinding thing. I was also worrying - apparently needlessly.

Man, I LOVE this forum. I swear I learn something new every day!

·
8,177 Posts
Grinding teeth can be a symptom of pain, along with fur standing up, hunched and looking miserable, standing alone in a corner, pressing head against the wall, as well as a fever or extremely low temp. But, just teeth grinding and acting normal is probably ok. I would just be cautiously watchful and not worry overmuch unless other symptoms occur.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello looking for some advice. I saw this thread and thought it would help.
I have a almost 2 week baby. She has had a bout with scours the last few days. We think they are under control. Yesterday she stared pooping really bad again. I gave her pepto .4 cc. It has helped. I took her off of the milk replacer and put her on cows milk. She is running around jumping being a goat baby. This morning she started grinding her teeth. Not all the time but a few times. Her poop this morning was just a little wasn't formed but not water either. I have noticed she is like cleaning herself or nibbling on her fur. I have started her in 2 ounces of cows milk every 2 hours in hopes to build her up again to what she should be taking. Should I worry about the teeth grinding.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My most recent bottle babies started having really bad scours at a week old. I took them to the vet and we did all kinds of tests, nothing came back positive. He did go ahead and delice them to be safe and gave me a medicine made for goats for scours. It didn't help in our situation at all. Five days later i had to take them back and He gave them a shot of antibiotics and steroids. Their poop cleared up within hours. About 4 weeks later one of them got scours bad again and we redid all of the tests...still all negative...we did the antibiotics and steroids again and no issues since. When i say bad scours I'm talking it looked like extremely runny honey mustard sometimes and clear snot other times. I was told if the shots didn't make a difference to do 24 to 48 hours of electrolytes. No milk at all in that period.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My most recent bottle babies started having really bad scours at a week old. I took them to the vet and we did all kinds of tests, nothing came back positive. He did go ahead and delice them to be safe and gave me a medicine made for goats for scours. It didn't help in our situation at all. Five days later i had to take them back and He gave them a shot of antibiotics and steroids. Their poop cleared up within hours. About 4 weeks later one of them got scours bad again and we redid all of the tests...still all negative...we did the antibiotics and steroids again and no issues since. When i say bad scours I'm talking it looked like extremely runny honey mustard sometimes and clear snot other times. I was told if the shots didn't make a difference to do 24 to 48 hours of electrolytes. No milk at all in that period.
The teeth grinding my did the whole time they had the scours but I'm pretty sure they was hurting. Imagine if you was pooping like that how much pain you would end up being in within a couple hours
Hello looking for some advice. I saw this thread and thought it would help.
I have a almost 2 week baby. She has had a bout with scours the last few days. We think they are under control. Yesterday she stared pooping really bad again. I gave her pepto .4 cc. It has helped. I took her off of the milk replacer and put her on cows milk. She is running around jumping being a goat baby. This morning she started grinding her teeth. Not all the time but a few times. Her poop this morning was just a little wasn't formed but not water either. I have noticed she is like cleaning herself or nibbling on her fur. I have started her in 2 ounces of cows milk every 2 hours in hopes to build her up again to what she should be taking. Should I worry about the teeth grinding.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did that and started giving her whole milk instead of the replacer. Then yesterday she started again with the runs. Gave her pepto last night. It has helped she has gone a little bit of poop this morning. It wasn't has runny as before starting to look like pudding. But the teeth grinding is new.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's probably most likely from belly discomfort. My babies acted like normal babies...bouncing everywhere n not acting sick at all. Just added in the teeth grinding when they laid down

1 - 20 of 33 Posts