The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night was a rough night. I have 3nigerian does that are pregnant. The one it is her first kidding, I think she is 3. Anyways she had triplets but one was born dead or dead when I found it. Two others were alive so I brought them in my barn. Keep in mind it’s ny in Jan so 20to 30at night. I brought the kids in the barn and got the mom in a stall with them. I ran to tractor supply and grabbed a heat lamp and colostrum supplement. I put the light on them and gave each a little colostrum. The mother was licking them so I thought things were going well. The one stood and was walking, seemed fine. The mother was licking it but when it got close to utter mom would turn around a keep licking it. I thought they’d figure it out. I was more concerned with other one. It was not walking or standing. It was just laying under lamp shivering. I had dried both with towels and wrapped that one. Made the call to bring it in house. In house I gave it some milk and let it warm up. It took awhile but stopped shivering and warmed up. It started to stand and walk on its own. Thought it was ok so took back out and put a mother in barn. Noticed mother still licking and turning utters away from other kid. Thought they’d figure it out and went to bed. Woke and both kids dead. Now I’m concerned about others on the way. Is it too cold to have kids right now? What do I do for them? Is it a must I bring them in house and bottle feed? Strongly prefer mother feed them. What did I do wrong and what should I do for next kidding which could be any day now.

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
Sorry you lost them. First time moms don't necessarily understand that nursing will help the pain. So either forcing her to nurse them or give her a shot of Banamine for pain usually does the trick. You can also milk mom a bit and give kids one bottle just to get something in their stomach while mom figures it out.

If she was licking them, she liked them. She just didn't quite get the nursing part. You should go out every half hour or so until you see them nursing successfully several times. Put them in a stall by themselves.

Colostrum supplement is just that, a supplement. The next time you want colostrum replacer if Mom doesn't have milk. Best is to milk mom and feed kids her colostrum.

Especially in winter, you must be much more hands on. Double that more hands on with a first timer. There is no reason that they can't nurse their kids, you just have to make sure the milk is flowing and mom is willing and kids actually latch on and nurse.

You do also have to make sure their temp is over 100 before you feed anything.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Hi..Im in Oklahoma. I understand cold nights. Yes I have heat lamps for my kidds. One habit I have developed. New Moms are dumb. Im their at birth, watching, ready to help,,,only if I have to. I do dip all umbolical into iodine, dry the face and make sure nose & mouth are suctioned out with baby ball suction. I then weigh & measure my new little one. And take pictures for I.D and 1st, 2nd,or? . Then after Moms finished delivering. I sit and watch. Any shivering I put on dog sweaters. The little one still has afterbirth on it and so the sweater smell like the baby. Then I wait 1 hour. I make sure each baby has latched on to the teat .and has gotten the colostrum. When the babies have gotten milk..they actually get sleepy. So after all have latched on..no shivering..i leave. With all my new Moms..i check every 2 hours. Believe me...I am not a nice person while my does are delivering. I look bad, i drink too much coffee ,and go without alot of sleep. But it has worked for me.,,so far. Maybe it will help you also.
Im sorry for your loss. Please be sure and milk mom..so she wont get mastitus.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts