The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never seen this happen before.....
And I have gone thru, and raised quite a few....
Situation:
Kid born June 1st. Nice, easy delivery overall. Kid presented front feet first. Got plenty of colostrum. Was supplemented with selenium 3x since birth.
A couple days after birth kid's front right leg seemed to be "giving out".
A couple days later the left leg started to "give out".
Kid can walk, but front legs seem to be "giving out" a LOT and the kid falls down to his knees...
He is nursing well from the bottle. (Mother is attentive to him, licks him, etc, but wont let him nurse, so we bottle feed 5x a day).

Anyone have ANY idea what in the world could be going on?
I am completely baffled.....

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I trully don't believe it's white muscle disease. The symptoms are inconsistent. He was born strong. Healthy. Stood and walked within minutes. He can stand and walk with no pain. Not shaking or shivering. He tries running too. His front legs just sort of, give out under him, like he momentarily looses stability in his knee joints... Very odd.
And he is neither Selenium nor Vit E deficient... (I ensure they are dosed well)
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Floppy Kid Syndrome kids ARE born strong.
"Affects kids from 3-21 days of age. Some get it younger or older, they can have it twice...

Is caused by clostridial type AE bacteria..."

Have you given Thiamine at all?

I found the above here
http://www.goatworld.com/articles/fks/fksrw.shtml

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not Floppy Kid either... Again, not matching the symptoms...
However...
He is actually improving daily now. Although slowly.
There has been a HUGE improvement in the last week.
He is able to run and walk without falling about 98% of the time now.
He is climbing stairs and jumping etc. He has also started to nurse from his mother. (Good thing. Saves me a TON of time!)
Thankfully the 2 girls are still giving me over 20lbs of milk a day even with their kids nursing. No complaints on my part. LoL
I have started giving him 1.5mL of Selenium/Vit E gel orally every 3 days, even though I am very consistent with ensuring that my girls are always up on it, especially at the end of their pregnancies. So there should have been no reason to suspect Selenium deficiency. That said, he has greatly improved after I started dosing him. I might dose him 2 more times then call it good.
I will keep you guys updated if you want.

Here is a photo of the little dude.
003.JPG

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Wow, He's gorgeous.

And you are right. Selenium deficient kids are not born strong, so no suspicion there.

Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
He sure is good looking! I am glad he is pulling through what ever the problem may be. Thank you for the update, and keep us updated, with future pictures, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts