kids not eating

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Vicky Welch, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Vicky Welch

Vicky Welch Guest

Apr 16, 2008
    We have a few month old kids (out of 54 total) who have suddenly lost all appetite. They are being bucket milk-bar fed 3X day 32-40 oz/day along with alfalfa. I have not had success in returning them to health thru C&D antitoxin, peppermint and ginger tea, pepto-bismol, eletrolytes, activated charcoal and other remedies. Does anyone know where I should look next or have any suggestions as to what this is. The vet has no clue. Thanks, Vicky

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Any other symptoms? Temps? Bloating? What kind of goat?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Welcome Vicky.

As to your goaties, do any of them have diarreah? did you recently change replacers? you said they are a month old or a few months old? Just want to clarrify to be sure.

B complex is an appetite stimulant. You could give each kid a couple ccs - can't Overdose on it because any excess just gets peed out.

did you have the vet check for worms or cocci, or ecoli?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome Vicky! I second what Stacey said about the B-Complex and do have a fecal done,I had 1 kid out of 9 that had runny stools for 2 days and no appetite at all, her temps were erratic and the "home remedies" didn't work either. Took her to the vet after 3 days of this, fecal came back with Cocci overload...started on Albon for 5 days and then 2 days after still no appetite, gave her the B complex people vitamin crushed into 2 cc water to dissolve and she was bouncing around like the others.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Ditto what Stacey and Liz said, B complex would do them great, you could also give them some Milk of Magnesia if they are having stomach troubles, it will help that.

Welcome to the Goat Spot! :wave:

6. Vicky Welch

Vicky Welch Guest

Apr 16, 2008
    Thanks for the tips! The kids are 3-5 weeks old and are on a mix of fresh goat and cow milk--no replacer and no diarrhea at all--just no appetite. They seem eager to eat, take a couple sucks and then turn away and stand around looking miserable. I gave injectable BoSe, A&D, and vitC but did not try Bcomplex as my bottle was 5 yrs old. I just got a new one and try that, also am sending in fecals tommorrow to WSU.
    INTRO--We have Nubians, mostly grades with some saanen and alpine blood-- 25 older milkers with 12 yearlings due May and June. We make chevre, feta and yogurt small scale commercial. We have kept a few milkers for home use for the last 37 years and two years ago decided to increase the herd (so easy with goats) and go commercial. We are located in north central WA where it has been snowing for the past 3 days. We also enjoy 5 wethers who carry our camping gear into the mountains in summer. I am finding there is a lot more to learn about larger groups of animals.

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Welcome from PA! Beautiful here, finally! Lots of experienced folks here to help out, even though you aren't technically a newbie!

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    First of all, WELCOME Vicky :wave: :wave:

How are those babies doing? Are they eating any more now or still the same?

If it was me I would not feed so much at once and let them get a little more hungry between feedings. Feed less so they are hungry, and they hopefully you will see a increased appetite.

9. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Welcome Vicky! How are those kids doing today???

10. Vicky Welch

Vicky Welch Guest

Apr 16, 2008
    Fecal tests were negative. We did an autopsy and found it was bacterial pneumonia.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    nice for a diagnosis but it is always hard with young kids :(

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    An Autopsy??? I didn't know that you lost any! I am so sorry, I hope the rest are being treated and recover for you. :hug:

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I hope you get the rest of them taken care of, sorry for your loss :hug: