The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. :) I'm new here. This place was recommended to me by a friend.
I have 2 goats, both Nubians. One kidded on Sunday just past. She had 3. They were all born backwards & were very poorly, 2 of them still are. The 2 sickest seem to have no sucking instinct. They are currently being tube fed. I was just wondering if any of you have any advice on how to encourage the sucking instinct? I've tried rubbing the roof of their mouth with a milky finger. 1 did suck my finger but currently won't take a bottle or suckle on a teat. This same kid has just started butting the udder today like kids & lambs do. He even temporarily took the teat in his mouth but gave up after a few seconds. The other kid isn't making any attempt. :-( I've also tried expressing a bit of milk onto the front of the tongue but none of the above seem to be working. Advice would be appreciated.
I'm used to dealing with poorly lambs which seem to be a lot hardier than poorly kids so I'm at a loss right now.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Are they weak they may need Bose or selenium gel,if they have muscle weakness will affect sucking,I've heard someone say put something sweet on finger to encourage maybe mollaases?good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They've had those. I know not everything is made to survive but I can't help thinking that all they need to do to make progress is suckle.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Have you tried just holding the teat in their mouth until they start sucking. When bottle kids first start out, a lot of them don't take to it easily. I just hold it there and let them cry and struggle and after they put up a fight, they'll usually start sucking, but if you've already done that. I agree with the BoSe. I'm not all that experienced with bottle kids...I try and dam raise everything, but I have worked with a handful of them. Currently I have 11 on the bottle.

·
Registered
617 Posts
You can also try using a syringe to feed them as long as they are swallowing,or milking in to a bottle with a lamb nipple,sometimes tubing them for too long ,I think they forget what they are supposed to do because they don't hVe too.ive had plenty of babies that I've held under mom with a teat in there mouth usually they taste milk and learn

·
Administrator
84,590 Posts
I agree with the others.

To ensure colostrum, milk a little colostrum from mom into a syringe(no needle).
Give it to the kid very slowly at the back corner of the mouth. with breaks.
Have someone tickle the tailhead of the kid as you are doing this.
Place your index finger in the mouth, mimicking a teat and move it slightly in and out still leaving it in the mouth, when you get the suck reflex
try them on momma.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Hi everyone. :) The 2 sickest seem to have no sucking instinct. They are currently being tube fed.
How much are you tubing per sitting and how many times per day? I understand why you are tube feeding, but it tends to make the throat sore and can interfere with a kids wanting to swallow. I would try tubing 30 cc's of 50% dextrose mixed with 30 cc's of warm water, waiting about 15 minutes, then start working with them to get them to take a bottle. A lot of times a kid that hasn't sucked becomes a 'dummy' kid, and the dextrose is "brain food". I know it can work miracles with a cold kid, but I'm not sure if it can do the same thing in your situation. It won't hurt them, though, so I figure nothing tried - nothing gained.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
you can try this exercise as well..put honey on your finger and touch the way back of their tongue to stimulate the sucking reflex..do this several time until they really begin to suck. have a bottle ready with colostrum..watered down some with moms milk to make it easier to drink....put honey on the nipple..once they are sucking on your finger well slip the nipple in..they will tase the honey first..this might take a few times...since they are weak especially,also you can try strong coffee to get them a jump start...best of luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
once they take the bottle well and are strong enough..work with them on mom...bt get them up and going first so they get strong and stay strong...

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
If you're not doing it already, try to milk Mom and tube/bottle the kids with her milk. It will make it so much easier to get them on Mom when they are strong enough if they smell "right".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi folks. I just wanted to update the thread. The 2 little kids passed away. :( We tried everything & that night during the night feeds I actually felt that they had turned a corner. When I went out for the following feed that morning they were both gone, huddled up together. :(
I just wanted to say thank you to you all for your advice & suggestions. It was very much appreciated.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
Im very sorry....:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts