The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though given my Pygmy kids some soft green meadow hay before, as well as feeding mixed slightly stalky hay, I found that the other day, after I gave them just meadow hay in a basket on the floor, they started snorting after awhile of eating, rubbing their noses, as if got an itch or something up their noses. Day two, they are still snorting now and then, and nose rubbing.
The hay is very fine and bits powdery, and they did bury their noses in it, had no trouble before, but Iam worried that it's caused them damage.
They are eating their grain, other hay, and playing, but I don't know what to do. Their stable is very well ventilated.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My girls do that at different times - I had 2nd cut that was a bit more fine. They snorted once or twice - not all the time, rubbed a bit, but then they were fine. I'd think if it didn't happen all the time and everything else was good, there's no need to worry. I'll let others more experienced wade in, though!

Kelly

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yea sometimes kids can be more aggressive in eating and gobble their food while breathing heavy which can cause them to snort in the fine stuff. I’ve had them do this from time to time too with no issues. Keep an eye on them and make sure their noses aren’t running or eyes watering.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea sometimes kids can be more aggressive in eating and gobble their food while breathing heavy which can cause them to snort in the fine stuff. I've had them do this from time to time too with no issues. Keep an eye on them and make sure their noses aren't running or eyes watering.
Thank you, yes they do gobble sometimes, what do I do if they get runny nose etc?

·
Fair-Haven
4,614 Posts
No damage. Think if you snort in some dusty hay - you will sneeze. Just make sure not icky discharge. Goats can make funny noises at times. Burping, humming at dinner time, etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so far just noisy snorts, no discharge, I can't thank you and everyone who has helped me over last three months, being a new goat mummy. Take care and keep safe, love from Donna in UK

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My girls do that at different times - I had 2nd cut that was a bit more fine. They snorted once or twice - not all the time, rubbed a bit, but then they were fine. I'd think if it didn't happen all the time and everything else was good, there's no need to worry. I'll let others more experienced wade in, though!

Kelly
Hi Kelly, update, kids seem ok again now, think they have cleared the hay dust etc, they are a worry, or it's probably me fretting at any change they make. Take care

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's great - onto the next thing they'll do that'll worry you! Today it's a high in the 50s with them laying in the sun in their full winter coat - instead of staying warm, I tell them to stay cool!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's great - onto the next thing they'll do that'll worry you! Today it's a high in the 50s with them laying in the sun in their full winter coat - instead of staying warm, I tell them to stay cool!
It's just starting Spring here so still slight frost in morning. One thing Iam not sure about, is if Iam trimming hooves correctly, I check them every few days, and nibble at them to keep them trimmed, they have hard standing and paddock, they are not lame, but they don't look same on sole on back as front, is that right?

·
Registered
263 Posts
The weather broke here enough that I was able to take a look at my girl's hooves and get them trimmed, first time in a couple months. They weren't too bad, the ones back hooves were more pointed than I ever saw them. After 3 years of trimming them, I just do a bit at a time. I've had the vet come out when I had old trimmers and I thought their feet were terrible, but they weren't that bad, I just didn't know any better. I got new trimmers and try and do it every month, to keep their behavior in check as well as hooves, and it's much better.

There was a video I watched on another thread, it's very detailed - I couldn't believe the amount she was taking off all at once! I think there was an update to it this past week.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The weather broke here enough that I was able to take a look at my girl's hooves and get them trimmed, first time in a couple months. They weren't too bad, the ones back hooves were more pointed than I ever saw them. After 3 years of trimming them, I just do a bit at a time. I've had the vet come out when I had old trimmers and I thought their feet were terrible, but they weren't that bad, I just didn't know any better. I got new trimmers and try and do it every month, to keep their behavior in check as well as hooves, and it's much better.

There was a video I watched on another thread, it's very detailed - I couldn't believe the amount she was taking off all at once! I think there was an update to it this past week.
Hi, many thanks for sharing your knowledge etc, I found that when I did not have a trim up, the kids did play up, I hope that by keeping a check, cleaning them and aiming for as flat as possible is the right way, best I can.
I've watched videos, it looks simply lol, but not when they wriggle, anyway thank you again, love Donna

1 - 16 of 16 Posts