The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 year old ND/Alpine doe kidded one large buckling on 4/27/2021 I did not see the birth but when I got to the barn the kid was still damp and she was still cleaning him. I did watch the placenta come out. This is her 4th kidding. She’s had one large buckling (2018), 2 doelings (2019), 2 buckling (2020) and now this large buckling. Saturday 5/08/2021 I noticed she had some discharge which I know is normal, but it looked pink and creamy like it was infected. She also wasn’t eating her grain the 2 days before so (5/06 and 5/07) and she doesn’t even leave food behind. She will eat hay and grass but very little grain. I gave her a dose of la 200 on Saturday night and today 5/10/2021 her discharge is bright red and a lot less than the other day. But her belly is hard almost like she has another baby in there. I don’t know what I should do. She seems healthy but her belly is causing me to worry. Any suggestions? The pictures are from right after he was born.
IMG_2248.jpg
IMG_2252.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
All seems pretty normal to me. They can go off their feed sometimes a day or so before birthing. Discharge is normal up to around 2 weeks after birthing. My doe's stomach is usually pretty hard after birthing as well. If she's eating hay and drinking well, doesn't have a temp and taking good care of her baby, I wouldn't worry about it. You could give her some B vitamin if you want just as a booster. Cute baby by the way!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is her temp? Have you done probiotics and B Complex?
I haven’t taken her temp or done anything else yet. Usually she has discharge for a couple of weeks after but I’ve never noticed her belly that he’d after giving birth. I guess I just wanted to know if it was normal or something I should be concerned about. She was running around today and didn’t seem to be “sick”.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I would get a good goat vet to see her.
What is her temp?

·
Registered
30,650 Posts
That discharge you explained is normal. Baby is a big guy..he can easily be a single. You could bounce her to see if there is a retained kid. Stand behind but to one side of her. Bend over her back and hug her.. I place your hands under her just in front of her udder. Lift her belly and allow it to drop without removing your hands. If there is another kid..you may feel it hit your hand.. do this several times, slightly adjusting hand location. I normally can feel a baby hit..but not always. I would definitely get her temp. Temp can tell you if she is fighting infection or low temp can alert you to rumen issue. Ect. 101.5-103.5 is normal range. Check her famacha for color.
Did she get dewormed after kidding?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts