The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost one of my kids today. Now that I only have one I know I need to get one for her. How long can they go without a companion? Can I gets sheep instead or will she only be happy with another goat?

·
Registered
367 Posts
You really should get another ASAP, and another goat if possible sheep are a little differerent and usually won't play together as goats do

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They were brother and sister. They are six months old. I am on the hunt now for another goat as she is crying and I can do nothing to console her. This is my first time having goats and it's not going well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! I just put an inquiry in for two bucks that are six months old and were hand raised like my two hoping it all works out. I would love to have the time to wait but I know I can't unfortunately as I'm not emotionally ready but i need to do what's right for her and not me.

·
Registered
367 Posts
A wether or another Doe would be great for her unless you plan on breeding, a wether is a perfect easy to take care of companion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is exactly what I'm looking for I tend to like the Wethers disposition. My female she seems to have a mind of her own and we are not ready to breed any time soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The vet was out Monday he had worms and anemia he seemed to be getting stronger and better with the iron supplement. To be honest I really don't know I can only assume it was the anemia. I did contact my vet today because I am now concerned about my female even though she was checked also. She is fat pretty healthy but is getting the iron supplement also as her eye lids are pale.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes she does know goats. She is certain that it's not cocci I even asked her about that as they do not have the runs. She did give them shots for worms and other preventative shots. I have started my female back on little grain for the protein aspect and gave her Gatorade this morning just to be on the safe side. I'm at aloss as to what more I can do.

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
Im so sorry you lost him!!!
Did you vet run a fecal on both kids? I kind of remember reading something about this? am I wrong? did he had Bottle jaw?? Might be another baby..any way if you buck was anemic with bottle jaw then there were either liver fluke or barpole worms. He had had them then your doe most likely has them..I would use valbazen on your doe..1 cc per 10#. If sheis anemic I would worm 3 times ten days apart then once again in 30 days
Valbazen and Ivomec plus are the only two meds that kill liver fluke...
If she is anemic...(see this chart http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.UnPGwZRxte4 ) The treat her with

red cell. 6 cc per 100# double day one then reg. dose for a week and once a week until good color returns
Vit B 12 daily or Daily B complex PLUS whih has enough B 12 in it
mic 50/50 ACV and water and dose 10-20 CC daily
High proitien feed, alfalfa and green leaves all help her rebuild her red blood cells..
Anemia takes time to recover from...

As for a companion..at 6 months old she can be bred..be sure her new buddy is wethered before he gets to spend time with her..

best wishes

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much for this! I am concerned about dosing of the iron supplement. I bought iron power supplement it is a equine supplement. Is that ok to give? I have no idea what red cell is and where to get it. Is what I have ok to give?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
They don't have to have the runs to have coccidia. Unless your vet took a poop sample and did a fecal test, she doesn't know what they have. I would be wanting a fecal test done to include coccidia.

Your doe is anemic for a reason. More than likely either baberpole or coccidia. But any type of heavy wormload can cause anemia.

How long has she been on iron? Exactly what wormer was used?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They were given ivermec and exceed. She started the iron on Monday I have been giving her about 1 ml as I don't really know how much to give and don't want to over dose her.

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
I have never used iron power supplement, red Cell is also for horses...its an oral red liquid...according what I read about the dose for Iron Power its 4 oz daily for 15 days then 2 oz daily for maintainence...but this is a horse dose...red cell is 6 cc per 100#
you can get red cell at tractor supply in the horse area...
I agree about the fecal...you can choose to go a head and treat for cocci as well..especially if they never have been treated...Dimethox is a good OTC treat ment..its 1 cc per 5# day one and 1 cc per 10#day 2-5...
For you wormer change to either Ivomec plus or valbazen to cover liver fluke..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am happy to report that besides my doe not liking being alone at all she is doing well. The color in her eyelids are staring to come back. I went to TS today and picked up ivomec plus and other supply's as well to keep on hand encase I need them. I believe I have found two new bucks that are about her age that I will band. Hoping all goes well and she will have new friends by this evening.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
That is great. I would keep them seperate for a while after you band them just to make sure nothing happens... Not sure if they can impregnate once they are banded, but you never know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts