Kinda Bummed *now happy*

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RPC, Nov 12, 2010.

1. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Well first off this has been a horrible year to get a doe to settle all my does I wanted bred for January or February kids and if they have all settled as of 2 days ago we are looking at March and April babies which will be far to late for the fair. Because of this I bought 2 bred does last Sunday well today I realized the one doe is in heat. I am super bummed because she was a paint boer doe and that is what my buck is so I was hoping for colorful babies next year when I bred them. I have e-mailed the breeder and we will see what she says about it. I have no idea if we are going to trade, return, or just keep her. Just kinda a bad day in my goat world. Thanks for letting me vent I needed it.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: Kinda Bummed

I am so sorry.....that has to be very frustrating..... :( :hug:

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

Oh no what a bummer! Did the breeder sell them as "exposed" or "bred" if they were sold as "bred".....that usually means a guarantee of pregnancy so a rebreeding or another bred doe replacement would be in order (breeders choice)

What a bummer!!!! Are you sure she is in heat or are you just seeing some discharge? :?

4. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

O I am positive she was in heat because I noticed for a few days before that she was peeing every 2 minutes and kinda flagging but I was thinking she was sick or something not in heat since she was "bred". But now I know. The breeder did say I can do one of 3 things. 1 bring her back for a refund, 2 exchange her for the other doe she had which I liked better but she wasn't friendly and has had singles twice, or 3 keep her and she will refund 25 dollars and I can breed her to my buck. She said take your time with your decision and in 2 weeks she is having the vet out to do utrasounds so I might want to wait till then to make sure the other doe is prego.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Sounds like a very responsible breeder and I would thank her for the offers and then make you decision in the time frame she has mentioned. Sounds like some good options. :)

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

Yep, definitely sounds like a good breeder. I'd keep that one in the Rolodex for future purchases. :) So what do you think you will do? Get the other bred doe? I'd be a bit wary about a doe only producing singles though.....???? Do you think it's a nutrition issue though?

7. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I have a doe now, Faith, that only has singles. I am not sure why that is. This breeder is so awesome I will go to her anytime I need something and hopefully she will have what I am looking for. Since I need kids for the fair I think I am going to switch the does. But not until we find out for sure the other is prego.

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I'm sorry Roger, I am sure this is frustrating, but it sounds like the breeder is wonderful! Is the other doe mean? or just a bit wild? I have a doe that was wild as a hare when we got her, and I worked with her in a stall every day, getting her used to me, and when I gave her grain, I'd rub all over her, hold her by one horn if I had to, and just rub all over her, talking softly.
    She still gets skittish <bottom of the pecking order too>, but she's no where near as bad as she was.
    So.... with that all said, could it be possible to work with this doe? Kids and treats can do wonders :)

9. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

She is not mean just kinda wild....I think this doe could be alot like yours and with a little one on one time she could end up being friendly....The breeder has 25 does between 2 farms plus a job so it is hard for her to spend enough time one on one with all of them so i am sure with a little time she will end up a pet. The breeder is awesome and I will recommend anyone to her after all the ultra sounds are done if that doe is indeed prego we will be switching does which is kinda sad because I have already kinda fallin for this girl but its what I need to do so we have babies in time for the fair which is why I am doing all this. But if anyone want some boer kids born in the spring (March-April) let me know because they will be too late for the fair and I don't have any use for them. We will have 4 does due in that time. The only plus side to these late kidding is I will be having babies longer threw the year(January-April).

10. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Well after the breeder had all of her does ultrasounded and everyone came back bred we decided to just take our doe (Jasmine) to the vet. Let me tell you we had to go to the county north of us because they were the only Large animal vet around. It was a little weird for me because they had me bring her threw the front door into a waiting room. I dont have little goats she is a larger boer goat, the little dogs were looking at her wondering what she was. I expected to go in threw the back door into a garage like room or the vet come out to the truck. When she told me to just bring her in I looked at her funny and said you mean threw the front door? I said she does have a little poop on her. They acted like I was the weird one and said they were used to it. So we waited for the vet and he came in and he did an internal ultrasound. He said she was prego and they looked viable. He wouldn't say how many but he did say "they" so I am hoping for atleast twins. He is pretty sure she has a UTI so she is on 2 weeks worth of antibiotics for that. I am super happy because we like this doe and she is already friendly, unlike the one we would have to switch her for. Plus she is a paint so I am hoping she has paint kids next year with my paint buck.

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    AWESOME!! Now was he able to say how far along she was? Will you get those kids for the fair?

12. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Well the breeder had a due date of February 14th so Valentines day babies. So I am sure that's the day.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    GREAT! So you will have fair babies! awesome

14. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yay that's great news!!! I'm glad it all worked out for you. :)

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  16. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Yes so I am super excited I love knowing that as of right now we are good to go and we will have kids on the ground in February. The other doe i bought is due I think January 5th so if that whale is not prego. I will be upset. She is just massive but she is older (6) and has had up to quads so she is a little streched out but I would say she is bred also but we didn't have her at the vets. Now for the waiting game I don't think I will do a Kidding page yet because it will make it seem slower but in another month I will start Athena's then Jasmine's a month after.

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, maybe my doe is bred after all that I really want bred. My doe is doing just what you said yours was and she was pregnant.

I am really happy for you

18. melb1

melb1 New Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Congrats :leap:

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Congrats... :cool: :clap: :thumb:

20. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Yeah sweetgoats you should have her ultrasounded. I was 90% sure she was open because he kept moving it around and acting like he didn't see anything but when he pulled it out and was like "Well she is deffinatly bred." I was in shock.