The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a month ago I had a foreign person stop by and ask if I sold my goats for meat. We have a lot of middle eastern people around here that are really pushy and rude(I'm not racist it's honestly how a lot of them are but not all) Today two separate middle eastern people stopped by asking for them and if I sold them and if we had goat meat. I am like freaking out because they also stayed in the driveway like 5 minutes... No idea what they were doing. I think I need to get cameras out at my barn... We also have a lot of theives around here and trouble makers

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our dog died over the summer and my parents won't get another one right now. On the other hand I feel very unsafe without one because I am the one alone here most of the time. The barn is really old so there is no way to lock it up either

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really wish they would understand that it would not be replacing her it's a totally different dog

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. Like I HATE not having a protector. Like I can defend myself but with a dog there is warning everytime someone is here

·
Registered
637 Posts
Its EID no need to be paranoid, the ads around here are full of goats being advertized for the celebration its like Christmas for the Muslims, and they eat Goat for it....

·
Registered
637 Posts
Oh and Eid meal celebrates the end to a month of fasting (like Lent for Catholics) and this year it is around Oct 15th.... Devout families need to sacrifice an animal and give 2/3 of it away...
Hope this helps (the Halal slaughter is pretty clean if I had to sell an animal I wouldnt mind it for EID)....
I come from a Bhuddist tradition (which is vegetarian).....

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
Around here, if one person comes to check out your place and ask about things like that, you're liable to have it all stolen the next time you go to town.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Around here, if one person comes to check out your place and ask about things like that, you're liable to have it all stolen the next time you go to town.
Well thats why I have 3 big dogs (one went to bootcamp to not harm people she attacks, and still sounds like she would we just worked on her Bite inhibition) and a stay at home large.... husband.....

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh and Eid meal celebrates the end to a month of fasting (like Lent for Catholics) and this year it is around Oct 15th.... Devout families need to sacrifice an animal and give 2/3 of it away...
Hope this helps (the Halal slaughter is pretty clean if I had to sell an animal I wouldnt mind it for EID)....
I come from a Bhuddist tradition (which is vegetarian).....
The problem is that mine are show goats that I could never sell. I would go hungry before they do. That does make me feel a little bit better but it was really weird that they stuck around...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah same.... People steal with you home and in the daylight around here

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So is there a place in central ohio I could refer them to for a meat goat?

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
Tell them to check Columbus Craigslist. I have been seeing an ad for goats and they are specifically mentioning that holiday.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem with people asking that, but them hanging out in your driveway for so long and being pushy about it makes me nervous.

I actually love the taste of goat meat, and I understand why a lot of people who are from areas that eat more goat would go looking for it. Goat meat can be hard to find. I've had people respectfully ask me before, but it was a polite conversation and didn't send off red flags. Plus, they didn't stop by my house, we were talking at a feed store.

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
Might post a sign that says...NO GOATS FOR SALE...PLEASE DONT ASK.
and get a motion detecting dog barking thingy in the barn...lol

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I have had people at stores ask me and had people stop by being very respectful and when I said no they said thank you and immediately left. I may get a motion camera thing so if something happens I will have a face to match. Plus maybe I will put up signs and like under surveillance /no trespassing signs

·
8,163 Posts
Another idea is to get some alarm company stickers and put them on your barn and house and maybe a small alarm company sign by the road.
That scares off a lot of people. So does a "beware of dog" sign. (they don't know there isn't a dog!). Or, put a dog house and dog food
dish out- kind of out of the way! Is there a dog? or not! Good luck!

·
Registered
637 Posts
The problem is that mine are show goats that I could never sell. I would go hungry before they do. That does make me feel a little bit better but it was really weird that they stuck around...
That is weird they stuck around, maybe they are brokers or something... I guess the average family person wouldnt be roaming around looking for the goat, the broker would....

I do like having big barky dogs around....

I like the ideas about getting alarm stickers and the beware of dog sign (but I think they would notice there is no dog bounding up to the gate)...

I dont know your personal situation, do you know any male with HUGE feet? and borrow a pair of his old boots and leave them out by your front door...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Our dog died over the summer and my parents won't get another one right now. On the other hand I feel very unsafe without one because I am the one alone here most of the time. The barn is really old so there is no way to lock it up either
I dont like the sound of that.... Anyway that you can "find " a dog, say it followed you home? Craigslist is usually has a fair number of dogs that need to be rehomed....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts