Kinda sad but also relieved

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Apr 29, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Well I got an offer for agistment, and I'll probably be sending basically all my does out there for the next two months. They have been joined and that way I wont have to feed them. I plan on bringing them home 4 weeks before they are due to kid.

The drawback ... they will be 10 hrs away from home :( Normally when I send does out on agistment they are close to home, and I check them every day.

At least its only 2 mths, and I know they will be at a good home, and have plenty of feed, and things will be a little less tight here for a while.

2. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio

3. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Okay all-get ready for what is probably a dumb question but what is agistment?

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That is wonderful news. Do the people have goat experience and know what to "watch for"???

That will definately relieve some feed money for the summer!!

My neighbors want to "borrow" some goats during the day from me to clear brush (would leave them there - but there is no night shelter and the property borders thick forest and there are coyotes and mountian lions). So they will go down on the weekends and stay the days and come home at night.

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    It's like when you pay someone a small fee to let your animals graze on their land...at least that's how I've always understood it. :shrug:

It's too bad they're gonna be so far away, Keren. I know you will miss them. :(

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    so are they going to be brush clear-ers?

I wouldnt want my goats away from home! i hate it when theyre staying at the fair, and i cant check on them!

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Not a dumb question - I was just talking to a canadian friend and she had no clue what I was going on about.

You pay a certain price per head per week, to keep your animals on someone else's property. They are responsible for the complete care of the animal - feeding (usually pasture), checking on them, making sure they are healthy and treating if necessary. As opposed to leasing where you are paying for only the pasture - you are responsible to check the animals etc. The rough rate for agistment for sheep is 40 - 50 cents per head per week, however I will be paying with either a mature doe or a doe kid, the owner's choice.

I quite often agist my animals locally because I dont have very much land; usually I can get local agistment within half an hour drive at the most. So I check em twice a day. But with the season the way it is going, no one around here has any agistment available.

Up north there is plenty of feed, they've had plenty of rain. I'm planning to agist them for the two months with the people who bought most of my herd when I had to downsize earlier this year (or was it late last year? I dont know its past midnight here lol)

kbek ... they are only beginners but I trust them, they have good common sense and absolutely love animals. their neighbours raised sheep for years so they have a 'go-to' person. and I will come up in the middle of their stay (after 4 weeks) to check on it all. and she will send regular pics and updates etc. they have very good pasture, a small amount of browse, and great shelter (old horse stables)

Yep, I'm gonna miss em. I'm going to send all the does, preggos and kids and goatlings. Which will just leave me with the sheep, the bucks, the tethered wethers plus Anna because I'm still milking her. The does should be pretty low maintenance for the next two months - I'll then bring them home because they will be 4 mths away from kidding - need to shear, drench, vax, lice and get them onto a grain ration, plus a bit more experienced supervision.

Its hard to let them go, but its a tough decision that has to be made.

I just keep repeating the positives to myself:

- they will be grazing a really good diet (do em good to get the minerals and vitamins etc from some green feed)

- they will be spoiled rotten and patted and played with heaps

- it will let me save some money for feed, or goat equipment or whatever, dont know yet

- it will let my pastures grow significantly without the monsters eating it all down lol

- and it will clean out all the pastures of worm eggs

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it almost seems like a win win - and you will be able to do some stuff just for you in those months :D

10 house :shocked: oh my!

9. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    We do that with our farm. Pen off one section and let them eat and them pen off another. I did nto knwo people will hire you to do that with your goats. How do you advertise something like that? We have a few goats that are no longer in the petting zoo or retired and that sounds like something that they could be doing for the farm.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW what is neat about my cashmere goats, is people pay ME to have my goats eat their weeds.

That is a win win there.

11. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Sorry your goats will be so far a way, but it sounds l like a great idea.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the win ...win situation... :wink: ..I'm sorry they have to be ....so far away...that is aggravating... :hug: :wink:

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :hug: :hug: