The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know not a lot of people like/have Kinders (or at least around here) or no one knows about them. I would like to try out the breed but id be breeding them myself. I would have to find a really good Pygmy buck and that I would probably be breeding to Annie, my big ol Nubian or I would be breeding him to my doe Francine who has milk stars and great udders/teats in her pedigree.

What do yall think about this? Anyone else thinking about trying the breed out? Or breeding them yourselves?

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These would be the does I would be breeding for kinders.

Annie. probably the doe I would use.
Working animal Terrestrial animal Pack animal Livestock Fur

Francine
Goat Working animal Mammal Goat-antelope Terrestrial animal

Salem. Pretty sure I wouldn't be breeding her for kinders but she is an option.
Dog Carnivore Grass Dog breed Plant

·
I'm watching you
22,551 Posts
You're going to need a lot more than that lol.
I can't remember how many generations to actually become Kinders but, since they can never be 3/4s of either breed you'd need like 3 pygmy bucks and around 15 Nubian does, all registered.
And that's why nobody does them.

Also, if your pygmy/Nubian mix is not recorded with the registry, you can't call it a Kinder or the registry can sue you. They own the name 🤦‍♀️

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't remember how many generations to actually become Kinders but, since they can never be 3/4s of either breed you'd need like 3 pygmy bucks and around 15 Nubian does, all registered.

Also, if your pygmy/Nubian mix is not recorded with the registry, you can't call it a Kinder or the registry can sue you. They own the name 🤦‍♀️
Oh okay! Its not something I was planning on doing right now anyways. I was getting what other people thought on this subject! Annie isn't registered so might run into some problems there lol...

Thats very interesting! I wonder how they could sue you tho...:unsure:

·
I'm watching you
22,551 Posts
Probably not a problem at this time. Just saying they could lol. Doubtful they would send a PI across America lol.
When they got so exclusive and controlling the breed kind of died out.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,696 Posts
This is actually not the case.

This is from the KGBA's website. (Kinder Goat Breeder Association):
Starting From Scratch
The Kinder breed originated by crossing a Nubian dam with a Pygmy buck. To this day, breeders continue to re-create the cross to bring new genetics to the wider Kinder gene pool, or to start a Kinder herd when established lines are not readily available.

The only criteria in this venture is that the Nubian is registered as purebred or 100% American through American Dairy Goat Association (ADGA), American Goat Society (AGS), or the Canadian Goat Society (CGS), that the Pygmy is registered with the National Pygmy Association (NPGA), American Goat Society (AGS) or the Canadian Goat Society (CGS) and can show proper documentation of ownership, lease, or breeding rights on both parents. The crossing of these two registered breeds result in first generation Kinders. After this initial breeding the Kinder is bred within their own breed. The harder question is, what criteria should be used when selecting the individuals? While the KGBA makes no ruling on the specific type you can use, we do have the following recommendations;

Here's the link for the rest of the article:
https://kindergoatbreeders.com/getting-started/

My doe Prim is a second gen kinder. Her father's mother was a nubian and his father was a pygmy.

I think it's great that you have this project idea in your head. But, I just want to say that don't judge the breed based on your outcome if you do go through with it. Kinder breeders are coming far with their breeding and basically starting from scratch may not give you an accurate representation of kinders because your beginning stock may not be exactly right for what makes a good kinder.

If you would like I can give you the name of the breeder I got my bucks from in northwest GA. If you'd be interested in purchasing a full blooded kinder. There is of course, me too. If you aren't far from the GA breeder, you probably aren't far from me. 😊😏 Just sayin.

Just curious, are you interested in creating your own kinders to try out the breed or are you only interested because you have the nubian does and it could be an option you have? Not sure if that question makes sense. Basically I'm trying to ask as politely as possible, why do you want to do this? Just out of curiosity.😁

·
Registered
248 Posts
When I initially started getting serious about goats, I was looking for a dual-purpose breed and kinders were at the top of the list. For several reasons, I ended up focusing on small dairy breeds and went with Nigerians, which seem readily available locally...but I'd be really interested in your project. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,696 Posts
Nigerians have moved away from being truly dual purpose and pygmies do not have the milk production of a kinder. I've been very very happy with my kinders. I have two does and together they steadily provided a gallon a day over most of their lactation. We will be butchering our first wether this year and he is looking much meatier than your average Nigerian.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is actually not the case.

This is from the KGBA's website. (Kinder Goat Breeder Association):
Starting From Scratch
The Kinder breed originated by crossing a Nubian dam with a Pygmy buck. To this day, breeders continue to re-create the cross to bring new genetics to the wider Kinder gene pool, or to start a Kinder herd when established lines are not readily available.

The only criteria in this venture is that the Nubian is registered as purebred or 100% American through American Dairy Goat Association (ADGA), American Goat Society (AGS), or the Canadian Goat Society (CGS), that the Pygmy is registered with the National Pygmy Association (NPGA), American Goat Society (AGS) or the Canadian Goat Society (CGS) and can show proper documentation of ownership, lease, or breeding rights on both parents. The crossing of these two registered breeds result in first generation Kinders. After this initial breeding the Kinder is bred within their own breed. The harder question is, what criteria should be used when selecting the individuals? While the KGBA makes no ruling on the specific type you can use, we do have the following recommendations;

Here's the link for the rest of the article:
https://kindergoatbreeders.com/getting-started/

My doe Prim is a second gen kinder. Her father's mother was a nubian and his father was a pygmy.

I think it's great that you have this project idea in your head. But, I just want to say that don't judge the breed based on your outcome if you do go through with it. Kinder breeders are coming far with their breeding and basically starting from scratch may not give you an accurate representation of kinders because your beginning stock may not be exactly right for what makes a good kinder.

If you would like I can give you the name of the breeder I got my bucks from in northwest GA. If you'd be interested in purchasing a full blooded kinder. There is of course, me too. If you aren't far from the GA breeder, you probably aren't far from me. 😊😏 Just sayin.

Just curious, are you interested in creating your own kinders to try out the breed or are you only interested because you have the nubian does and it could be an option you have? Not sure if that question makes sense. Basically I'm trying to ask as politely as possible, why do you want to do this? Just out of curiosity.😁
Thanks for the link friend!!!

Do you live in GA too???

I have always loved Kinders, ive talked about trying to get my own kinder herd startd before but never went thru with it because it seemed like a hasll plus I didn't have the Nubian does to do it. Me personally I like the thought of raising my own and not buying, but then again If I found a couple of really nice Kinders I would probably get them lol

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I initially started getting serious about goats, I was looking for a dual-purpose breed and kinders were at the top of the list. For several reasons, I ended up focusing on small dairy breeds and went with Nigerians, which seem readily available locally...but I'd be really interested in your project. Keep us updated!
I will definitely keep y'all updated if I do actually try this!

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
463 Posts
I have to say, I LOVE my Kinders! Well, they aren't registered so they aren't "proper" Kinders but I love them anyways! I would recommend finding a breeder if you are really after what the breed is meant to be. I have some that are from first gen crosses and you have to do a lot of culling to get a goat that actually resembles a Kinder.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to say, I LOVE my Kinders! Well, they aren't registered so they aren't "proper" Kinders but I love them anyways! I would recommend finding a breeder if you are really after what the breed is meant to be. I have some that are from first gen crosses and you have to do a lot of culling to get a goat that actually resembles a Kinder.
Okay! I have to ask..... May I have a couple pics of your kinders? I love the way they look! And I need to see your babies!!

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
463 Posts
Two of my does, Brownie on the left, Red on the right. I just got Red and am excited to see her kids in the spring. I also have another doe, Serenity.
Plant Felidae Dog breed Carnivore Cat

My two bucklings from this spring showing off their basketball bellies.
Dog Carnivore Grass Companion dog Dog breed

One of the bucklings fence sparring with his father with the doelings looking on.
Plant Fence Grass Fawn Tree

And this year's doelings.
Sky Plant Carnivore Working animal Dog breed

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts