The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone here castrate with a knife? i did my 7 week old buck kid yesterday, and he bled quite a bit, more than i would normally see. but normally i would do them much younger than this. the first side was ok, dripped blood a bit, second side gushed. i scraped the cords not cut them like you are supposed to (i usually do them young enough that they just snap wjen i pull them). anyway i held pressure on it until it slowed down then let him go, he had a few drips for maybe half an hour or so. he seems fine this morning, a bit stiff and sore bt that is to be expected. he is bright and alert and eating and drinking. just wondered if anyone has experienced this before. i know they say that the bigger they get the more chance they can bleed out but ive never seen it until now, but yeah i usually do them at a week or two, not seven.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
We always use a knife on the calfs, last year we had one that bled ALOT, no joke a solid stream. He wasnt that big of a calf, I think it might have just been from the stress, I really dont know but this year we have done bands for the first time.

·
2,203 Posts
I like to clamp as well. I pull out each testi, snip, clamp and leave on for say, 15-20 seconds. Never really counted. Long enough to clean the area again, and grab the fly spray off the shelf.

This year was the first year I've had an abscess post-op. Most recent bull calf was cut a month ago by me of course. Healed over VERY well. His scrotum kept growing and growing from that day on. Tuesday his scrotum had a thin spot in it, so I knew it'd be ready soon. Sure enough by Friday it had burst and released fluids. Odd. D

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks gyys, i'll try clamping next time i have ti do a big one. What sort of clamps do you use?

Basil is doing fine now, the couple days after his castration he was a bit quieter and kept his tail tucked down, and his belly wasnt as full as it normally is. This morning he has his tail up wagging away, full tummy, and biunced up to.me for cuddles :)

·
2,203 Posts
Thanks gyys, i'll try clamping next time i have ti do a big one. What sort of clamps do you use?

Basil is doing fine now, the couple days after his castration he was a bit quieter and kept his tail tucked down, and his belly wasnt as full as it normally is. This morning he has his tail up wagging away, full tummy, and biunced up to.me for cuddles :)
I can't recall the proper name of the clamps. That all i know them as! They're like metal scissors that click when you squeeze them together? Hmm...

http://www.plattsnisbett.com/tubing-clamp-wedge-jaw-pn0160-pn0159-pn0161_P925.html

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah cool no.worries mj -haemostat clamps :) well theres all sorts of surgical.clamps with silly names but i have haemostat ones so they should work :)

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
We had a calf one year who was fine the day we cut him then a couple days later he started to bleed. We tried packing the sack full of gauze and sewing it shut like the vet told us to put that didn't work. We finally had to put one of those larger bands on him (the ones for the calicrate bander) to get the bleeding to stop.

·
2,203 Posts
We had a calf one year who was fine the day we cut him then a couple days later he started to bleed. We tried packing the sack full of gauze and sewing it shut like the vet told us to put that didn't work. We finally had to put one of those larger bands on him (the ones for the calicrate bander) to get the bleeding to stop.
Must've bumped himself and opened or tore a vein. Horrible. An important piece to remember is to take the testi out of "his shell". They are encased in a thin membrane. The membrane stays, only the testi goes. Seems to be much less bleeding this way.

·
2,203 Posts
ah cool no.worries mj -haemostat clamps :) well theres all sorts of surgical.clamps with silly names but i have haemostat ones so they should work :)
Ah ha! Thank you!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Our vet did our Nubian wether when he was about 13 weeks old. He was sedated, but she wasn't planning on doing him that day originally, so she didn't have all the supplies. Poor guy had to ride home in a dog crate, and the entire floor of it was covered in blood. He looked miserable! We were worried that he might have been losing too much blood, but he was fine by the next morning. I felt so bad for my poor boy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts