Knocked scenseless

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by fivemoremiles, Nov 14, 2019.

1. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    The day i was to turn my rams out with the ewes i found my best ram on the ground. The night before he was fine. I think he got the bad end of the head butt.
    for the last three days I made sure he was laying upright 4 to 5 times a day. he is slowly improving. today i moved him in to the barn and made a sling for him and hung him from the rafters. one time when i checked him he was swinging and i mean swinging. i fear he will die from pneumonia. I just wish there was more i could do for him

Trollmor likes this.
  2. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    Just a side note i have 300 ewes 6 rams 50 ewes a ram is good but with one down and one just a yearling i will have some tired boys

Trollmor likes this.

3. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    What a story! Sending Get Well Wishes to your swinging ram! :inlove:

(But I fail to understand how he was swinging.)

4. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I'm sorry about your ram. I hope het gets better. Have you tried vet rx to help keep his airways dialated and open and encourage deep breathing? A few drops in the nostrils might help.

5. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

What Rx drugs do you have for pneumonia? My vet liked to give me Resflor Gold, which is a combination of Nuflor and Banamine, but I hear good things about Draxxin.

Were his ribs broken by the head butt, do you think?

Trollmor likes this.
  6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Zactran is really good for pneumonia. It's pricey, pretty much a
    " last chance" antibiotic. It's 1cc up to 110#, so, only a few cc's for large animals, and it's a single shot with a follow up 10 days later. ( of course it's labeled for cows....)

I hope your ram gets better quickly.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Did you get a temp on him? ( 101-103 is normal range for sheep) Any head swelling? Hows his famacha?

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, get a temp right away.

I honestly would have a vet look at him and get an xray.

Can he touch the ground in the sling?
    So, if he wants to bare all his weight on the ground, he can do so, to try to stand? And have control of not swinging? With knees slightly bent?

Are his eyes darting?
    Is his head trying to go to the side?

9. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    what the ram did was spin around and around tell only his hind feet touched the ground. every time his hind feet would touch the ground he would push. that is how he got swinging. stoping his swinging would have been a hit on youtube

10. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    So, how is he doing now? Did you get any temp? I guess he got dizzy from the spinning? Dizzier than he already was, if he had a ... *looking up word* ... concussion.

toth boer goats likes this.
  11. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    I'm going to loose him there is a point where it is cruel to keep trying to save him. I expect he will be to that point tomorrow and i will put him down.

this type of thing always happens to your best or favorite buck or ram.

dog gone it

happybleats and Trollmor like this.
  12. mariarose

Oh,I'm truly sorry. And I agree about the cruel part.

Trollmor likes this.
  13. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Yes, it is a tough situation, but when it is you, I know you will do it in a ram-friendly way! (grouphug)

But, what does this mean:

fivemoremiles likes this.
  14. mariarose

@Trollmor That is an expression of frustration or discouragement, used as a swearing substitute.

Trollmor and fivemoremiles like this.
  15. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am so sorry :( I agree, it's always the best or favorite that something happens to.
    A FB friend posted yesterday they lost a pony from a horse kicking it. So sad. We haven't lost any to butting, but years ago we had a doe abort a day or two after getting butted, that was so sad, but thankfully she was okay.

It sounds like you've done the best you could for him, and that's really all you can do...

16. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    thanks his made me laugh
    I have changed several things i do on this forum because of you. like when i use a temp i make sure i add F or C for you. BUT i am not going to change my cursing for you.:heehee: this emoji looks evil
    :heehee:

17. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oh no. I hope he turns a corner for you. And yes, it always is your best animal that it happens to.

mariarose likes this.
  18. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Im sorry you have to make that decision..stinks. ((hugs))

19. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    :) Nice to be able to give you a small comfort!
    You have? Oh, dear, I hope you feel good when you do!
    You are not supposed to! Forgive my curiosity! ;)

For temp and length, I used to use the online converter, but all of a sudden it does not work for me any longer, so I am afraid i will be more of a stone in the boot for you all ...

So, how is your ram doing today? (grouphug)

20. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    Now what am i going to do? i expected to find him this morning near dead but he was much more alive than the day before. I watered him fed him he eat unlike the day before. so the chest strap was giving us a fit si i tied a double bowline and it works much better. there is another type of harness i use in rescue practice that may work better for the hind quarters. i think for now the ram gets another chance.