The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
TKC Farms
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This a is a revised post of Ellieone , one of my bottle fed goats where mama had little to no milk. She was born with this knot on right side of her face. My vet says it’s a salivary gland that’s stopped up. He lanced it 3 times so far and it just keeps filling back up. I have left it alone as your request and this morning it is huge. I know about 10 days ago it burst and went down to half its size but this morning it is huge. I thinking this evening of sticking just the needle (16 gauge) into it and draining it again. Fill it back with iodine again. This will be the fourth time this will have been done and she’s only 1 month old. I would also give her a antibiotic. What would be a good one to give?
She is due her 1st Coccidia treatment and also her 1st CD&T shot. Any thoughts on all this please. I just don’t know what to do. See pic
IMG_4767.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: EJskeleton

·
TKC Farms
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She may need to see a different goat vet
Not being a smart xxx but there is no such thing around me. I agree more might could be done but what? She didn’t want to eat at lunch and only took a little over a half at evening feed. When I went down last night at 10pm she didn’t want a bottle then either. She still running to mom and sucking so she may be getting more than I think. I didn’t lance this evening as I was give out from working on my Kawasaki mule all evening and was dragging tired if you know what inn be mean. Maybe tomorrow.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
TKC Farms
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Instead of lancing, why not use a needle?
That’s what I’m going to do, just use a 16 gauge needle if I have one. Do you think I will also have to use a 16 gauge needle to flush it with iodine? Different needle of course. Maybe if my helper could hold her head I just insert the tip into it and fill with iodine. I only have the 7% and no 10% to be found around here. What about the CD &T shots and the Corrid prevention/treatment?
 

·
TKC Farms
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any thought maybe of adding some LA200 directly into it. I will NOT do this until I find out if this is ok. Just throwing this out for answers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Im not sure what
state your in but here a special case like that A&M usually takes them in. If your not in texas are there any vet colleges in your state? That vould be worth a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,045 Posts
What does the fluid look like when drained? What is her Temp?
When we had that young buck that got snake bit under his jaw, we used a needle to drain the fluid. It was a bit smelly, a Tan-ish puke color. The problem with the needle draining is you cant get it all..even flushing, some bacteria can be left in there, so it kept returning. It took lancing it and flushing it until the skin swelling went down, (walls are thinned) for it to finally stop re-filling. It left a hard knot though. With the fluid returning, infection is possible. The issue is...if it is indeed a salivary gland...we have always been told not to lance. So im puzzled at what to do to help her. Part says flush flush flush...but makes me nervous not knowing the cause. Is your vet opened to discussion? Will he be insulted if you ask him to consult other vets? When toltrazuril was starting to be the answer to coccidia..I asked my vet to check into the safety of it..even though it was not legally sold in the states..he made calls to Australia and somewhere else..can't remember and talked to vets there on the success and dosage. I was so happy he was willing to do that. He of course gave me the thumbs up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
Not being a smart xxx but there is no such thing around me. I agree more might could be done but what? She didn’t want to eat at lunch and only took a little over a half at evening feed. When I went down last night at 10pm she didn’t want a bottle then either. She still running to mom and sucking so she may be getting more than I think. I didn’t lance this evening as I was give out from working on my Kawasaki mule all evening and was dragging tired if you know what inn be mean. Maybe tomorrow.
Maybe this vet could help, she is a new vet that travels around GA. We have not used her but maybe worth a try. Here is her Facebook: Muckalee Equine & Agri-Health Services, LLC

Contact info:

209418
 
  • Like
Reactions: friesian49

·
TKC Farms
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
  • Like
Reactions: friesian49

·
TKC Farms
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any thought to injecting it with La200? I just thought we put on hoof scale and hoof rot, maybe fill it with a little LA200? I won’t do this until I here more from you guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,045 Posts
With CL (I know this is not CL, just speaking as reference) lancing and flushing is needed 2-3x a day for 3 to 5 days to get the bacteria out and allow healing. Healing is shown by the thinning of the skin, showing Inflammation was reduced because bacteria was gone. Then the cyst was allowed to heal up. If the CL was not cleaned enough and allowed to close before all bacteria was flushed out it would fill up again.
Again..being a possible salivary gland makes me hesitant but it's not healing, more invasive treatment maybe needed. I'm hoping this new vet you found will have some ideas for you. If not at this point I would treat it like a CL cyst in how I dealt with it.
There are studies that show Draxxin injected into a CL cyst clears things up. Again, this is not CL But maybe needs treament as a bacterial infection.
 
  • Like
Reactions: toth boer goats

·
TKC Farms
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The new vet has never responded to me about any thing. I have called and emailed, still no word over a week now, so that’s out. I lanced and flushed Sunday evening, and blue coated for flies. I started giving penicillin 1/4 ml Sunday night then Monday morning, then every evening starting Monday eve until this Friday. The knot has shrunk to the size of a peach seed at the moment but I know it can be big as an orange when I get in this evening. Maybe not. Now it’s kinda hard feeling kinda like hard discarded chewing gum. The still unanswered question is do I inject LA 200 as a flush if I have to lance again? If needed I would lance, squeeze out what all I can, flush with iodine again and maybe next day inject 1/2 ml of LA200 directly into loose skin around cyst and massage it. Thoughts?
 

·
TKC Farms
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I still giving About 1/2ml of penicillin sub q. When I lance and fill with la200 should I stop the penicillin? This Friday will be 6 days of it.
 

·
TKC Farms
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would put the la200 in if you have to do it again.
Should I first lance and flush with iodine and then maybe the next day put the la200 in it or just do the la200 and no flush with iodine?
 
1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Top