The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Are you saying the whole side that is larger is a lump!? If it is, it could be a problem, maybe mastitis. Maybe you could get some more pics? A little clearer and closer maybe? I'm no expert, but I think others would appreciate more pics as well, and be better able to tell you what's wrong.:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the pics. It is on the very back of her udder. Her sack looks ok and feels ok other than that spot.

·
Super Moderator
58,074 Posts
I would have a vet or very experienced goat person physically look at her. I wouldn't want to mess around with that. You don't want to make a wrong diagnosis and open it up when it doesn't need to be or something.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ty. Not sure what to do. She is very close to kidding and dont want to cause any stress. It is not causing her any discomfort. Thinking i might just let her kid and see what happens. She was going to be culled before this showed up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is it moveable kinda spongey feeling yet firm? It's in the udder and the skin moves around its? So it's not attached to the skin of the udder but inside. She is acting ok other wise?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She is as good as apple pie. Spongy yea kinda. It bothers her more from holding her than feeling of it or anything else.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's 4:30 in the morning (I can't sleep) am on my phone so it's hard to wright but I believe this is mastitis I just rescued 2 new girls a few weeks ago one has lumps in the same spot like yours (she has it a bit worse then the other girl I have) i have been milking her out using peppermint oil and using (today) mastitis medicine she has had 2 treatments (total of 4 tubes) and it got much better but stopped because I ran out. This week I should have my dozen I ordered. You might wanna pull the kids if she comes down with it really bad.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
it could be an injury, mastitis, or cancer. Call your vet he may want you to treat with im penicillin, and might be a better option than today. is her cdt up to date if not do it now. as for pulling the kids i wouldnt unless the vet suspects clostridia or cancer, but honestly i think she would be way sicker. could be a simple as a clogged milk duct. you said you were going to cull her anyway why? was it something to do with her udder?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Let me be clear about my earlier post, am in no way a vet and in a perfect world when something is wrong, we can call one...but i understand unless the goat or animal seems to be sick or going down hill fast, sometimes we don't have the funds, Now my doe who seems to have Exactly what your girl has...It is mastitis (in my case) now your girl Could have something else but as my opinion i would say Mastitis because....a)she seems to be acting fine. b)her udder seems healthy its only the lump that feels odd. c)she is going to kid soon. Could be a congested udder?...i don't really know...go with your Gut. if you can call in a vet that would be great because then you will get a straight answer and know what to do ;) but if anything...and your not sure. try possibly taking a Herbal approach to it *that way your not pushing antibiotics or meds down her* you can try using peppermint oil (i have been using this on my girl..isn't really improving but its not getting worse) i have also used peppermint extract (you can get this at the store where they keep baking supplies and cake mixes) its like the "icy hot" of the Herbal world, it will help with blood flow. you can also try "Vitamin C" which you can also get at the store.

as far as what everyone is posting they are right on the nose, its a shoot and a miss or a bulls eye. it could be a list of things. am going with Mastitis, but i could be wrong! do you want to risk it? call a vet? or try something? its up to you! ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the info. She has had only 1 kid last two seasons. Last year her single did not grow as we'll as previous year. I have keep her at my wife's urging but we recently purchased several replacement does. She is one of two smaller does we have and we are in the process of moving to more of boer influenced does. With a pure breed boer covering them. Thanks everyone and i will update when she kids

1 - 11 of 11 Posts