The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble understanding what seems to be a simple instruction. "Milk your doe until the udder is empty". Seems pretty straight forward. Well, what I had assumed, is that meant at some point you would get no more milk despite any efforts to milk out more. I get to the end and I massage and bump and I always seem to get a few more weak squirts with more massaging. It takes me super long to get to the point where I feel like I can stop and even then I think I could probably get more if I tried really hard. What I have been doing is massage until the squirts are really weak and then only bump until I get nothing in the teat. I figured that if I was a baby goat, I could only bump and not massage to get more, so that should be enough. Am I making this harder than it is? Am I being too thorough or not thorough enough?

For a while my does production was really consistent, but now that the kids are weaned I have seen a steady reduction. I understand that that will happen since there is no longer a constant demand for milk, but I just need to know that I'm not making it worse by not emptying them properly.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
I milk my girls until stream becomes weak..then like you. I massage and bump a but and strip the teat out then I'm done. I don't keep priming the pump or I would be there all day lol. Some girls wait for that last massage and bump to release more milk. I had a doe who would do that 3 times!! We learn our girls habit and work with them.
If you need or desire more production you can add some herbs that help and you can go out for a noon milking..causing a larger demand for milk.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,852 Posts
Yep, same here. Once it's barely coming out, we massage and bump and get a few good full squirts and when the efforts of all that go back to barely any stream, we stop. like Happybleats said once you've milked them a good bit, you learn when that particular doe is done. Also some will milk to a completely empty udder, and others will have varying degrees of tissue left and make you think there is more milk lol. We want to breed for completely empty udders, but again, you'll learn your does and know what's just tissue and what's holding back.

·
Administrator
85,665 Posts
I do the same, but I will also push inward one hand from the back of her udder on one side, and at the same time will Milk more out that way per side. Also push in the middle inward gently.
You will be surprised and get out more milk, in which you thought was done. ;)

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do the same, but I will also push inward one hand from the back of her udder on one side, and at the same time will Milk more out that way per side. Also push in the middle inward gently.
You will be surprised and get out more milk, in which you thought was done. ;)
I'll have to try that!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts