The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
rdmtnfarms
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is my first year breeding does. I want to hand breed them for tracking purposes, but some of these girls have me confused. I had a nigerian who started acting "bucky" a week and a half ago but we were at the state fair so I figured we had missed our chance. Then three days ago, she started acting bucky again and so I put her with the buck and he bred her a few times successfully. Is it normal for them to come in and out of standing heat?

Then I have some nubians that keep having discharge and acting a little bucky, but when I show them to the buck, they run away. One has stopped having discharge and I haven't really noticed swelling. did I miss her standing heat?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
In my experience one of my does has consistently gone out and then gone back into heat in a couple weeks. My 9 month old does it and it can be kind of confusing. From what I've noticed sometimes she tends to go back into heat after certain things happen like I get a new doe, or the weather changes, or I take her somewhere and bring her back. My other older does have done the same thing too but on rare occasions. I just got some new does Friday and the owner told me one had been in heat a week prior. She came back into heat today, I put her in with the buck and she stood for breeding.

I have one doe whose cycle I have the worst time keeping track of because she isn't outward about it. So, I've heard people suggest taking her to visit the buck everyday and that's what I've been doing. She'll want to get bred soon enough I suppose Lol

·
rdmtnfarms
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That makes me feel better. I did get three new does (the nubians). Maybe that is what caused it. I don't feel so crazy now.;)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
That could be it then! I know that sent all my does into a flurry. I have three in heat now and like I said its been 2 days since I brought in the new girls. It surprised me it happened that much later but I'm still pretty new to breeding too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts