·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
WOW never heard of it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Koumiss (koumiss, kumiss, kumis, kymis, kymmyz) is a fermented drink traditionally made from the milk of horses by people in Central Asia and from camel’s milk in Mongolia . The word koumiss is thought to derive from the name of the Turkic Kumyks people. The capital of Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek, is named after the paddle used to churn the fermenting milk, showing the importance of the drink in the national culture. It would have been originally fermented in a horse hide bag which would have contained the microflora from the previous batch. Koumiss is similar to kefir, but is not produced using “grains”, but using a liquid starter culture composed of lactobacilli and non-lactose-fermenting yeasts instead. As mare’s milk has a higher sugar content than cow’s and goat’s milk, the resulting koumiss has a slightly higher alcohol content than kefir. Today, cow’s milk is generally used for koumiss, with the addition of sugar to better approximate the composition of mare’s milk.
Koumiss is a milky white liquid with a grayish cast and is very light in body compared to most dairy beverages. It has a slightly sour flavour from lactic acid, and ethyl alcohol, and a fizziness from carbon dioxide.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think there is an episode of either No reservations (Anthony Bourdain) or Bizzare Foods (Andrew Zimmerman) my 2 favorite food / travel shows where they are served the femented mare's milk, but I think it was called Aireg (I wonder if this is similar) ....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Koumiss (koumiss, kumiss, kumis, kymis, kymmyz) is a fermented drink traditionally made from the milk of horses by people in Central Asia and from camel's milk in Mongolia . The word koumiss is thought to derive from the name of the Turkic Kumyks people. The capital of Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek, is named after the paddle used to churn the fermenting milk, showing the importance of the drink in the national culture. It would have been originally fermented in a horse hide bag which would have contained the microflora from the previous batch. Koumiss is similar to kefir, but is not produced using "grains", but using a liquid starter culture composed of lactobacilli and non-lactose-fermenting yeasts instead. As mare's milk has a higher sugar content than cow's and goat's milk, the resulting koumiss has a slightly higher alcohol content than kefir. Today, cow's milk is generally used for koumiss, with the addition of sugar to better approximate the composition of mare's milk.
Koumiss is a milky white liquid with a grayish cast and is very light in body compared to most dairy beverages. It has a slightly sour flavour from lactic acid, and ethyl alcohol, and a fizziness from carbon dioxide.
Drank quite of bit of it in the early 60's it was made from camel milk in which a friend put crushed cardamon pods.............nice we made puddings with it too

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drank quite of bit of it in the early 60's it was made from camel milk in which a friend put crushed cardamon pods.............nice we made puddings with it too
Have a batch starting right now. I found a very funny forum about it. http://www.florilegium.org/?http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/kumiss-msg.html:cake:
that must have been translated from Russian. Guess we shall see when it is done fermenting (unless it blows up and I end up cleaning it off my kitchen celing. :fireworks:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well we had a setback over night. When we put the bottle in the refrigerator the cork blew out and it dumped all over the fridge... I had read to tie the cork in and we used some bailing wire around it and then down to the handle. Need to figure out how to keep the cork in and then will try another batch. awshucksgoatfarmvt- I think the link won't work because of the happy birthday goat at the end of the link. I did not put it there so I imagine that whatever the last few letters of the link are supposed to be make up that character, but don't know enough about that stuff to tell you for sure
I am however every intrigued that you have tried kumiss before. Can't wait to try it myself

1 - 16 of 16 Posts