The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still new to goats (about a year and a half) and one of my does almost tore her hoof off and I have been wrapping it and cleaning it with diluted iodine and triple antibiotic ointment. I haven’t started the antibiotics though I’m not sure how much to give and how long and where to administer it at...help please

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi. Does your doe have a fever? Is her wound foul smelling/ have a oudorous discharge? Fever is the main sign of infection. I usually don't give antibiotics unless I know they have a fever after getting wounded, but others might do things differently. I would also give her a shot of tetanus antitoxin asap; tetanus can easily enter through wounds.
Incase you need it, the dosage for la-200 is 1cc/20 lbs bodyweight. Personally, I would use penicillin first on wound related infection...la200 is broad spectrum and you want to save it for serious stuff/ Incase penicillin doesn't work. Dose for PenG is 1cc/15lbs. You can give both SQ. Wishing you the best:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Does your doe have a fever? Is her wound foul smelling/ have a oudorous discharge? Fever is the main sign of infection. I usually don't give antibiotics unless I know they have a fever after getting wounded, but others might do things differently. I would also give her a shot of tetanus antitoxin asap; tetanus can easily enter through wounds.
Incase you need it, the dosage for la-200 is 1cc/20 lbs bodyweight. Personally, I would use penicillin first on wound related infection...la200 is broad spectrum and you want to save it for serious stuff/ Incase penicillin doesn't work. Dose for PenG is 1cc/15lbs. You can give both SQ. Wishing you the best:)
I haven't taken her temp (only because I can not locate my thermometer we just moved into a tiny house- and the feed store was out of them on the shelves) but it does look like it's getting infected though. They didn't have penicillin at the store so I need to order it and I don't know if I should wait for it to come in the mail or just start the la-200. I know this may sound dumb but what is PenG and SQ?

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
I haven't taken her temp (only because I can not locate my thermometer we just moved into a tiny house- and the feed store was out of them on the shelves) but it does look like it's getting infected though. They didn't have penicillin at the store so I need to order it and I don't know if I should wait for it to come in the mail or just start the la-200. I know this may sound dumb but what is PenG and SQ?
Pen g is penecillian and sq is sub q.. under the skin not in a muscle.

La200 is 1ml/20lbs. Once daily for 7-10 days.

Both are broad spectrum antibiotics but different classes of them. Each treats some conditions better than the other.

·
Registered
279 Posts
No question is dumb...we were all once beginners:)

If it looks bad, then yes, maybe the la200 is the best idea. PenG is penicillinGprocaine...most often sold at concentration of 300,000 units per vial. PenG is a common brand name of this medicine. SQ simply means 'subcutaneous' or under the skin. You can pinch up a tent of loose skin under the armpits, over the ribs etc. Insert the syringe into the tent and draw back the plunger to see if any blood enters. If it does, take it out and try in another spot. Or you can just watch a video on it....
You might want to get a thermometer soon. Also, do you have access to a vet? Is the goat eating and drinking?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts