The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I don't know about Pink Eye.. But it can be given SQ at other times.. Hopefully someone who knows more then me will pipe in soon :)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I know you can use it for pink eye.. Just not sure how it would be given for it...

I have never given it to young kids... How old are they?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
IM I believe ;)
Ok..
When I give it I do IM the first dose or two then do the rest SQ.. But I know you can use it as a topical on hoof rot and I thought I heard something like that for pink eye.. But don't take my word on that...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Thank you Liz for that info :) I remember that now that you say it :) going to write that down in my note book :)

·
14,615 Posts
Ive heard the same as Liz about bone & discoloration of teeth. I'd just put a couple of drops of it right in the eye, minus the needle of course.
Do this daily & a day or two past clearing up.
La200 stings like the dickens when injected.

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The kid is about 10 days old. I'm pretty sure it's pink eye. His eyes are filming over. He was given to us because his mom abandoned him.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I'd just put a couple of drops of it right in the eye, minus the needle of course. Do this daily & a day or two past clearing up.
That's what I was thinking I had heard before.. Just wanted to be sure :)

·
14,615 Posts
Be sure inverted eyelashes are not the cause. This is called entropian & would need a stitch or two at the vet. No meds will heal it.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I have read the same thing about the teeth and bone. To be honest I use it and have never seen a difference it them to others. If it was my kid I would do as Nancy suggested and if you don't see any noticeable difference go for the shot. I think the chance is better then a ulcer eye. And just in case you don't know you can get pink eye from the little guy so gloves or well washed hands :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Be sure inverted eyelashes are not the cause. This is called entropian & would need a stitch or two at the vet. No meds will heal it.
Definately look closely for an inverted eyelash. I thought a baby of mine had pinkeye until I read up on entropian. I fixed my little guy with a strategically
placed alligator clip.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
I agree.most likly inverted lashes....using antibioitc as an eye drop is moe effective then injecting for pink eye

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
I am thinking LA 200 also stings in the eyes vs normal penicillin but not enough to not use it :) Just treated some pink eye ourselves but think it was more due to a nasty nasty wind storm we had not long ago. Oh and we did both SQ and drops in the eye the first day just to give it the added kick.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
If it's really bad, I squirt some in their mouth and in the eye :) clears it right up! I knew a cattlewomen who actually injected it in the eyeball when they had pink eye, you think squirting would sting, I cant imagine having that injected in my eye! No idea how she did it....you'd think they'd put up a heck of a fight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts