Lab tests in, WHAT??????

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sweetgoats, May 29, 2008.

1. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have posted here about a doe that is losing her hair like really bad. I have posted on GW a few years ago about her also. Hr skin is like leather, and she has no hair on her face or ears, and sometimes on her back. She has large flaking skin.
    The vet did a skin biopsy, and checked her over, (No lice or external parasites). He took blood and sent it to CSU Med school. Weeks later after CSU was baffled, and they sent stuff to another vet school for a second opinion. They have all decided together that she has Solar Reaction to the Sun. What does that mean? She is allergic to the sun.
    I have to get her on some Vit A and she will have to have a bath with a shampoo. Molaseb. (He spelled it for me, it is a prescription).
    We thought for sure it was going to be a Zinc def. I thought that was going to be hard to handle, but WOW not at all compared to this. I have to try to make her a very light weight coat that will at least cover her body and he also said to give her some Aloe Vera juice and see if that helps.

:hair: At least I will stop pulling my hair out.

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Wow, my husband has an allergic reaction to "cold" seriously, it's put him in the emergency room twice. But, an allergy to the sun...that's weird! But, at least you have a diagnosis...is this a genetic thing?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    allergic to the sun--- now that is NOT what I would have expected either. I have been hoping for a diagnosis for you and something very simple. Thats wonderful and thank the Lord is seems simple enough. I love aloe vera juice (not personally) for skin conditions, i have been super happy with the results I received when using it.

Yah that might be a good idea, dont' need you both bald. ;)

4. deenak

deenak Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I too am using Aloe Vera Juice for my goat's hair problem. I put it in a bowl with graham crackers and she eats it all up. Her skin looks less dry and the fur is coming back in. :)

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Where do you get your Aloe Vera juice? I am sure I have seen it at Walmart.

6. deenak

deenak Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I did get mine at the Walmart (Stacy suggested this store) but it was really hard to find. I asked the pharmacist and he sent me to the produce section where they send me to the organic isle. Unfortunately our store doesn't have an organic isle so I just wandered aimlessly for a while. The aloe juice(berry flavored) was actually located on the bottom shelve under the fiber supplements -- go figure!!

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    What a special girl- You know, photosensativity in horses is caused by eating some kinds of plants- red owl clover comes to mind but there are others that do this too. Usually only effects the unpigmented skin on horses. Maybe that's what's causing her to start having reactions too?

Anyway think of all the designer coats you can make for her :dance:

8. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    sweetgoats

i bought a bunch of "goat coats" this past winter when i knew my girls were going to freshen in the cold
    i will send you one if you pm me your snail addy
    they are for babies but
    that will give you an idea for a pattern
    just a thought...

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes with the fiber and other supplements -- right near the pharmacy. I got the berry flavored kind, they seem to really like it and Flicka would suck it out of the syringe. They have the traditional non flavored there as well.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You are so sweet, thank you. I do have several coats but they are more for the winter so they are a little hotter. I do have some material that is very breathable, so I was going to take them as a pattern. I just wish they made a horse fly sheet in a colt size, then I would only have to alter it just a bit.

Stacey, i did not know that they had Aloe Vera juice in different flavors. I will have to look for it.