The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 beautiful doelings last spring and was incredibly excited to start my dairy journey. Last August, we purchased a buck for them who had his own separate pen with housing where they could still see and talk to each other. I tried, and failed, to breed them multiple times. Until we brought the buck home, it had seemed they were almost constantly in heat. September brought a nasty storm that put Jaspers pen out of commission. Neither of the girls had shown any signs of heat so we let Jasper live with them. Not once after he moved in did I ever see any heat signs or would they allow him to mount. They always moved away from him when he tried. Until a couple of weeks ago, we had assumed we would be breeding this spring instead. For Christmas, DH surprised me with a Caribbean vacation for our Anniversary. We leave 2/8/18 and it is set in stone. A couple of weeks ago I started to notice one of my girls were bagging up, it would appear the other doe is about a month behind as her udder is just now starting to form and very small. Daisy, the first doe, has really come into her udder. It’s a good size now, to me, for a first freshener. It feels tight to me. Not huge but not at all small. Her teats have gotten a bit larger. I can no longer find her ligaments and I can wrap my fingers all the way around her tail head. She has gone from having her tail pinned down to straight out behind her and a little crooked over the past few days. Today her tail is down again. Her belly appears to have dropped significantly and she has become much more vocal. I have both girls in a nice clean stall together for now. They’re sisters and have never been away from each other so they get very upset if I try to separate them. With this trip getting closer and closer everyday I am getting more worried and frustrated. Multiple times I have thought “today must be the day” only to have nothing change. I am scared to death to leave her without the kids already being born. My best estimate of breeding is September when the buck moved in. I’m praying it was at the beginning of the month. If she were bred towards the middle of September I will not be here for the birth and I don’t know what to do. Any advice? I’m about to go take them for a walk now and will try to get photos of her.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Yes, pictures will help. Is there anyone you know that is experienced with goats that can come over and house sit for you? How long will you be gone?
I'd definitely not want to be burdened with the worry of a goat kidding while I was on vacation! Sorry you are in this situation. I think that more than likely she will kid smoothly and everything will be fine, but you can't be too careful.

Reactions: MtnRidgeFarm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, pictures will help. Is there anyone you know that is experienced with goats that can come over and house sit for you? How long will you be gone?
I'd definitely not want to be burdened with the worry of a goat kidding while I was on vacation! Sorry you are in this situation. I think that more than likely she will kid smoothly and everything will be fine, but you can't be too careful.
I'm trying to stay positive. I have a friend that lives in town who just offered to take her in while I'm gone. I want what's best for her and the kids even though I hate to impose like that. My dad lives here with us but he's not experienced and tbh not that helpful. We will be gone a whole week it's only 6 days but our plane doesn't get back until almost midnight and it's a 5 hour drive home from the airport.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Love her wattles! Judging by the pictures I’d say she has 2-3 weeks left, but of course goats (and looks) can be very deceiving... her udder is pretty big but her vulva just isn’t quite there yet.

Reactions: goatblessings

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Love her wattles! Judging by the pictures I'd say she has 2-3 weeks left, but of course goats (and looks) can be very deceiving... her udder is pretty big but her vulva just isn't quite there yet.
She's so beautiful! Jasper is white with Blue eyes... I think they will make some gorgeous kids! Is there any time estimate on how long it takes for the vulva to swell? Or is it another of those things where it might happen days before or the day of?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I usually start seeing the vulva swelling about a month before kidding. As kidding draws near it will swell more.
And with all of my FFs this year (5 so far), I’ve noticed a pattern... their udder will fill pretty well, and then a day or two before they kid it will fill up rapidly.
I had a doe this year that looked like she was going to kid any minute (her vulva was very “loose” in the back end, for lack of a better word) - she was like that for two weeks before she had a big ol’ buckling! :/ They can drive us crazy sometimes!

Reactions: firsttimer

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I usually start seeing the vulva swelling about a month before kidding. As kidding draws near it will swell more.
And with all of my FFs this year (5 so far), I've noticed a pattern... their udder will fill pretty well, and then a day or two before they kid it will fill up rapidly.
I had a doe this year that looked like she was going to kid any minute (her vulva was very "loose" in the back end, for lack of a better word) - she was like that for two weeks before she had a big ol' buckling! :/ They can drive us crazy sometimes!
Shew! Welp, I can stop sitting on top of her now.. lol. I've been afraid to leave the house thinking it could happen at anytime. She's in the stall too soon, so I'll put both of my girls back into the big pen today. As soon as I got your response I let my friend in town know and we will go over there to start making their arrangements this weekend just Incase. I'd hate to not be here when it happens but atleast I know they'll be well taken care of by a very competent friend who will not hesitate to help her if necessary. We are going to set up a camera out there that will link to her phone so she can monitor constantly and she has promised me video! So that's something. She is puffy back there but not swelled near enough.

Thank you so much for your knowledge. I hope to update this soon enough with photos of her beautiful kid (maybe kids, I really only think there's one!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is great that you have someone reliable and responsible to take care of the goats while you are gone! Have a great vacation!
Thank you! I'm so glad I decided to post here, it's really taken a lot of stress off to know a little better. I'm still crossing my fingers they come before I leave, or after I get back! I'd rather be here and if there were any chance of getting a refund on this trip, I'd have already canceled. I want to go, I'm excited, but I love my girls and I'd rather be with them for their births. I guess I'm just happy I have a really good back up and now this forum when I'm feeling overwhelmed.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Do you have any clippers?
You might want to clip some of the hair off of the udder and the back of the legs. Less for the blood and birth fluids to get tangled in.
We always try to clip ours before they kid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you have any clippers?
You might want to clip some of the hair off of the udder and the back of the legs. Less for the blood and birth fluids to get tangled in.
We always try to clip ours before they kid.
That's a great suggestion! I will definitely do that this weekend when I can enlist the help of DH.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts