Labs for disease testing?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Sfgwife, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I need draw blood and send it the way of the dodo for my yearly cae, cl and johnes. Where do you send yours to? I usually let the vet send it in for me. I think one goes to rollings in raleigh here (cl i believe) but not sure where the other goes to.

Eta. Has anyone used sage ag labs?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    cristina-sorina and GoofyGoat like this.
  2. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I’ve heard good and bad things about Sage Labs. The only lab I’ve heard consistently good things about is WADDL.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I have been using UBRL the past few years and very happy with them

4. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Whew waddla is $30 per animal for non washington residents. Thanks though for the info!

GoofyGoat and Moers kiko boars like this.
  5. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Can you help me with the set up fee? I see it on the pricing list but cannot find if it is just a one fee for all animals or each animal for the first time i send blood in. I am guessing it is for the farm set up in their system? But i have looked at every page and cannot find this info. :/.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  6. BethJ

BethJ Well-Known Member

May 28, 2019
    North Carolina
    I'm curious what other people use as well! I've used Rollins lab for Johne's testing (did blood and fecal culture b/c I was paranoid) and also CAE so I know they do those. I'm not sure they do CL though.. only sent that through vet. I don't see CL listed on their price sheet
    http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/ncvdl/FeeBrochure.pdf

Sfgwife likes this.
  7. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

The set up fee is a $10 (I believe) fee that you pay any time you have less than 4 samples to be tested (except for pregnancy testing.)

I also use UBRL and I like them a lot. I sent them a sample a few weeks ago and there was a fiasco with the post office and tracking, but Omar at UBRL was super helpful throughout the ordeal.

GoofyGoat and Sfgwife like this.
  8. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Are you the lady in the mini nubian group that was havin the po troubles? Did they find the samples and get there in time?

9. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    So i was just backward at rollins. :). I knew john sent somethin to them.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  10. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    Rollins does CAE and Johnes. They don't do CL. They can test fluid if you have an abscess, but they don't do blood tests for CL.
    I only do routine testing for CAE and Johnes.

11. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Rollins for CAE and Johnes.
    Rollins then sends the sample to UC Davis for CL testing.

If you are doing the CL test, use a reputable and accredited lab. I don't believe sage is accredited.

Sfgwife, Iluvlilly! and GoofyGoat like this.
  12. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

Wasn't me! I have Nigerians :) But I did have PO troubles and even though my sample got there several days late (they sent it all the way to its destination city and then BACK to my local distribution center and then back again before it was finally delivered!) and I had to wait an extra week to have it tested due to missing the cutoff window, they were still able to use the sample and it all worked out in the end!

Sfgwife likes this.
  13. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

When you goin to southern states again???? I will give you lunch and snack monies to come draw on one possibly two boys lol! I could NOT get blood on tristan.... who SOMEONE is bred to. Ugh! I remember having to have john do him last year too. It is dumb! I could feel his beater nice n strong, poke, nope. We even took him off the stand to try get his neck a bit more long but nope.

Then there was D.... he is a jerkface when it comes to bein caught. So he was a nope goat from the start.

Everyone else i got though.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  14. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Hmm, I don't know. Right now I'm being held hostage by two preggo goats (rofl)
    I'd be glad to help, but really you don't need to pay me :hug:

GoofyGoat and Sfgwife like this.
  15. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Hahaha held hostage! You worry bout your ladies then i will get it done. :).

GoofyGoat likes this.
  16. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    With Tris, You want to check that your needle's hole is facing the skin not the body and if you poke and you know you hit vein but nothings going in the tube ...ever so slowly back the needle out... because you might have gone through the vein, backing it out slowly you can see when the tube starts filling and stop there. I've done thousands of punctures and usually this will work. (paramedic/nurse)
    With Donatello...Just try some crazy ninja moves...stinker ;)

17. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

I do all that with tris. :(. D is much better than when he came but still if we are in the pen he is a nope goat lol! Paul isually locks them in the house for breaky when it is movin day. But he didnt yesterday and D saw the leashes. The turd.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  18. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
  19. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I know. Ugh. It is just frustrating with tris cause i can feel his beater so strong and everyone else i get the wee tinny thud. Lol! He was such a good boy though for my torture of him.

GoofyGoat and toth boer goats like this.