The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like title says, I don't have any choices for sheep minerals here. TSC will not ship it here, local feed store has ordered Purina Wind and Rain Sheep for me. Don't know when it will get here. Co-op across river, in Louisiana, nothing doing.
Any ideas? I had to put the goat minerals out because the goats can't go without, I don't want to kill the lambs with copper.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd do Replamin Plus for your goats. Then you know for sure the sheep aren't getting copper and the goats are.
I am doing replamin plus. What about salt? I have a cobalt block, but that is all.
Thank you.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
They will get the salt from the Purina Wind & Rain Sheep that the feed store ordered for you when it comes. Meanwhile the Cobalt salt lick will be fine. It's totally cool if they don't have salt for a couple weeks until your order arrive. But yes you will need to use Replamin Plus, copper boluses, and/or MultiMin90 injections for your goats in addition to the sheep mineral.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm having a lot of trouble finding a good sheep mineral, too :( The breeder I got my sheep from recommended kelp, which I did for a while, but it just got too expensive, at $75 for a 50 lb bag. I didn't even know Wind and Rain has a sheep formula. Hopefully someone else has suggestions! Right now all mine are getting is Redmond salt, when I remember to put it out.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm having a lot of trouble finding a good sheep mineral, too :( The breeder I got my sheep from recommended kelp, which I did for a while, but it just got too expensive, at $75 for a 50 lb bag. I didn't even know Wind and Rain has a sheep formula. Hopefully someone else has suggestions! Right now all mine are getting is Redmond salt, when I remember to put it out.
I tried free choice kelp with mine, too. 25 lbs in a week was just too fast. I may as well top dress while waiting for sheep minerals.
They will get the salt from the Purina Wind & Rain Sheep that the feed store ordered for you when it comes. Meanwhile the Cobalt salt lick will be fine. It's totally cool if they don't have salt for a couple weeks until your order arrive. But yes you will need to use Replamin Plus, copper boluses, and/or MultiMin90 injections for your goats in addition to the sheep mineral.
They do get replamin plus weekly, thank you. All of my goats are between 30 and 45 lbs.,and I copper bolus a 2 gram each every 3 months. Will they need more at a time or would you just give more often as needed?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the assistance, I was starting to worry.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Calistar , my feed store got in the Purina Wind and Rain Sheep. Where they get the Purina has a 5 ton minimum, so I had a little wait. Here is tsg if you need UPC symbol or number.
20190617_093534.jpg

·
Registered
556 Posts
@Calistar , my feed store got in the Purina Wind and Rain Sheep. Where they get the Purina has a 5 ton minimum, so I had a little wait. Here is tsg if you need UPC symbol or number
That's awesome, thanks! I actually have a call in to my feed store seeing if they can get the Sweetlix version (because I had totally forgotten that they made a sheep mineral and that I'd looked into it in the past) but if they don't have any luck, I'll see if they can get this one!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts