The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in North Dallas, TX and have a Wether and two Nigerian Dwarf does that gave birth last week. One Doe had 1 and the other had 4, so we have 5 beautiful Kids 3 girls/2 boys, 3 blue eyed (first time breeding!) Both moms were very large prior to giving birth and now look lean, I can see their hip bones.
After doing some research I have read that we should be giving them anywhere between 1-4 pounds of grain per day depending upon their milk production. This is a huge variance. We are raising all the kids on their moms for now and supplementing with bottles as needed so we don't know the quantity of milk they are making because the babies are drinking it all. We only milk the moms if they have milk left at night.
Right now the 3 adults get whatever they graze/forage plus Sudan, Goat Minerals, Salt Block, Baking soda, gave all probiotics on their birth dates and then again today. Gave the moms a Vitamin B12 supplement and selenium/Vitamin E supplement as well a week prior to birth. I've been feeding each mom 2 cups of Purina Sweet feed grain and 2 cups of alfalfa pellets twice a day plus a handful of sunflower seeds. Should we be feeding the Lactating Does more than this? The one with 4 kids always seems like she is starving so I've been giving her more before bedtime again. Is there a helpful chart anywhere for feeding Dwarf Nigerian Goats at various stages, I've looked everywhere and had no luck with specifics. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response! can you tell me how much more you'd recommend? We've been feeding the babies off the mom with one when the mom with four gets tired of them nursing. Also do they need anything else?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your local library may be able to loan the book " Nutrient Requirements of Small Ruminants - (also known as the NRC) This book is the gold standard on nutrition for goats; it is updated about every 10 years - this book gives you the breakdowns for carbohydrates (energy), fats, protien, fiber, minerals, etc to feed by weight. The 1981 version is on Google books - the newest version is about $110 so it is not cheap - great resource though.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts