The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do I have until my does dry up? We milk our 2 alpines daily and they had their kids 6 months ago but trying to plan for milking need if and when I will need to breed them again. I thought I had read on average you can go for 9 months.?

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
If you keep milking them everyday, they may not dry up on their own. Every girl is different. You can plan on drying them up a couple months before they are due.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh I don't want to dry them up and would love to go 12 mos before having to breed them again if they can physically stay in production that long

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
If they are from good heavy milk lines, then you could possible milk them without breeding them for years. So if you wanna give that a try go for it but id suggest researching her pedigree if at all possible just to see what kinda milkers are in her past. But if you do want to breed her again, minimum recovery time from her last milking to her kidding is 2 months but I suggest 3.

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
If you want to keep them in milk for longer, you need to be milking them twice a day. As the kids get older, they are drinking less milk and the doe will slowly dry up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. Good advice here.. Unfortunately I don't have time for twice a day milking but going to see what I can do with my once a day milking. I have been trying to get every drop out in the morning at least... If only I could make a living off my couple of goats:) although both do come from good stock ( Kim Hull) and had heavy milking pasts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW! 5yrs...that's amazing

Well I separated the kids last night who are a bit over 5 mos and I think I found my problem. I really didn't think the kids were still feeding off the does but sure enough after milking and letting the kids out they ran up and finished off the does milk. They must have been feeding late night or really early morning because I hadn't seen it over a month.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts